Saturday, November 2, 2013

It's November!

Thursday night was Halloween, and we (me, Lucas, Amanda, Josh and our kiddos) dressed up as "Sharknado".  The adults wore sweatsuits spray-painted to resemble tornadoes with shark cut-outs glued all over them, while the kiddos were dressed up as sharks themselves.  And let me tell you - the babies dressed as sharks were UH DORBS.









We worried all day that the impending storms would cancel our Halloween plans (and we didn't really have a Plan B since we couldn't get rolling until later in the evening),  but besides a little sprinkling beforehand, the rain held off and we were able to hit up the block party on the North Shore as planned! 

Amanda and I played around with some tulle ideas on the adult costumes to attempt to make them look more tornado-like, but we both just ended up with burnt extremities from some hot glue gun mishaps and the conclusion that the tulle didn't do much for the costumes if we weren't going to wrap our whole bodies up in it.  So we nixed it at the last minute and it worked out alright.

We would have needed to get really serious about it, like this kid.

So now Halloween's over and we are officially into November!  Am I excited?  Yes I am.  I'm 30 weeks pregnant now, so I'm only 10ish weeks away from popping this baby out.  Lucas's birthday is Monday, and I like birthdays.  Thanksgiving is this month, and I really like Thanksgiving.  And I love that the Christmas season flares up in full force the day after Thanksgiving (I try to ignore all the Christmas stuff prior to Thanksgiving).  So I'm excited about November!


Me and Lucas around the time of his birthday 5 years ago.
30 weeks preggers!
30 weeks the first time around.  The top in this pic definitely stopped fitting a WHILE ago this time!




Now there are a few things I'm NOT so excited about.  I'm not excited about the fact that I already know that I have to really pull in the reigns on my budget this month because my personal money stash is low and needs to be carefully managed.  Vet bills and other expenses have wiped me out for awhile, especially since I haven't had any incoming money in several weeks.  So that's no fun.


I'm also not excited about the bartending shifts I'm working this month.  Granted, I enjoy my museum job and I DID just complain about money woes, so that part of being scheduled for four shifts this month is a plus (hooray paycheck!!).  What I'm not looking forward to is being 30+ weeks pregnant and on my feet for 8 hours while bending up-down-up-down to retrieve beer and wine out of bins.....as well as not getting home until midnight or later.  I just anticipate being very tired and very sore after each shift....so I guess that's really the part I'm not looking forward to (and not the actual shifts themselves)!  But after these November shifts I've got 2 more in December and then I'm done for a few months while on "maternity leave".  


I'm also not excited about our annual neighborhood dinner.  Not that I don't enjoy the dinner, because I do.  We've been going since we moved into the neighborhood in 2011.  It's that I've been asked to SING at the dinner this year, and I'm a nervous wreck!!  I haven't performed for anyone (with the exception of some alcohol-infused karaoke) in probably 12 years.  I met with the pianist the other day for our first practice, thinking it would calm my nerves, but it only made it worse.  I couldn't seem to find my groove.  I'm aware that it doesn't have to be perfect (my neighborhood is full of people above and beyond the age of 70 so the dinner always consists of a sea of people with stark white hair who can barely hear the person sitting beside them), but I don't want it to be a train wreck, either.  I should have just politely turned it down......I WANTED to politely turn it down......but I just couldn't do it.  The book club members (whom I love and adore) were just too excited to say no to.  What was funny was that I was told I could sing whatever I wanted, just no "twerking".  I mentioned that a good "twerk" might really liven up the annual dinner.  They said they really wanted to try to keep everybody alive through dinner.  :)

So none of this, I guess!  Plan B......

No comments:

Post a Comment