Friday, November 29, 2013

34 Weeks, Thanksgiving and Christmas

I hit the 34 week mark this past Wednesday.  8 1/2 months down, hopefully less than 6 weeks to go! 

This year's 34-week belly is flatter and more saggy-bottomed than the one below.
34 weeks from the first time around!  It was early July in this pic - definitely not the end of November and cold.

The baby is SUPER active, kicking and punching and rolling and thumping up a storm.  I'm surprised that I haven't peed myself yet, as much as this baby likes to punch my bladder.  But I am pretty certain that I have a bruised rib or two from either little feet or a bony butt.  I looked at my journal entry from being 34 weeks the first time around to compare the then and now.......then I said that the baby was super active, exhaustion was starting to really kick in, I had developed "permacankle", my fingers were starting to swell and sleeping was getting harder as it was getting harder to get comfortable.  This time around the exhaustion started LONG ago, I don't have swollen feet AT ALL and my fingers have only swollen twice that I've noticed.  I can agree with my old self that sleeping has been getting more difficult the past week or so.  Sometimes when I wake up my right hip will be SCREAMING where I've been sleeping on it, so I'll roll over.  Then later I'll wake up and my rib cage will be SCREAMING where I've been sleeping on my left side.  It's kind of a no win when it comes to sleeping.  But that's okay.  It was expected and I'm still getting enough sleep here and there to last through the days!

I would REALLY like to have this baby by the end of the year.  If I make it at least 3 more weeks, I'll be out of the woods of having a preemie.  And a healthy baby who decides to make his/her appearance in 3 weeks would be FINE by me.  It would be awesome to have the little nugget home for Christmas!  But 4 more weeks would actually be pretty perfect, because it would give Baby #2 one more week of development and put having him/her right between Christmas and New Years.  The only person it would suck for would be the baby.  He/She would never get to celebrate their birthday at school, their friends would often be out of town or busy with family for the holidays so birthday parties would always be more a "miss" than a "hit", and the focus of the entire month of December by everybody on the planet would always be Christmas.  So if we DO end up having a holiday baby, we're going to have to figure out ways to always make the day a big deal instead of making it feel like it's on the back burner to Christmas.




Of course it is an extremely high possibility that this baby won't show up until after the NewYear, since he/she isn't due until the 8th anyway.  Of course I know that this is actually the best thing for the baby, but a bummer for me for more selfish reasons, like the currently paid insurance deductible that would start over after the 1st and the several thousand dollar tax break that I'd miss out on.  Along with me being pregnant for longer in general!



We spent Thanksgiving this year in Nashville (still here through Sunday), and it was a success as always!  Lucas fried the turkey (which was an organic one that I pre-ordered), I made an apple-cranberry side dish that was super simple and turned out delicious, and Lucas's mom made sweet potatoes, cornbread stuffing, broccoli casserole and pumpkin cheesecake.  We had the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on all morning, and then we (well, me and Janice, at least) watched a cheesy made-for-TV Christmas movie called "Holiday In Handcuffs" followed by "Love Actually" (one of my faves). 

My most favorite couple in the movie.  This marriage proposal makes me cry every time!
And of course, one of my most favorite lines ever.  Also makes me cry every time.  Now let's go kill some zombies.

Today Janice, Henry, Delano and I are just hanging out and relaxing (no Black Friday shopping for us) while Lucas and his dad work on his garage roof (BRRRRRR!!!).  Then this evening we'll be going out for Mexican and celebrating a family friend's birthday, which was yesterday.  I might bundle Delano up and take him for a stroll around the neighborhood this afternoon, but that just depends on the weather.  The high today is around 50 degrees, which is fine as long as the wind isn't blowing!

So Christmas is right around the corner.  Four weeks minus two days, to be exact.  And December is going to fly by, because my calendar is already full of happenings.  I do love the Christmas season, though.  Bring it on!

Frankfurt, Germany during Christmastime.

No comments:

Post a Comment