Thursday, October 17, 2013

Napping Is For Quitters. Quitters At Being Awake, That Is.

I got all excited because I was going to make my first cereal box magazine organizer from a box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes that Lucas finished off yesterday morning.  This idea was quickly deflated, though, when I discovered that my magazines were wider than the box itself.  It was even the family-size box, but apparently for this particular box of Corn Flakes, that just meant taller and not wider (probably because it fits in cabinets better).  Guess I'll have to scour the cereal shelves for the wider boxes, like Cheerios.  I may need to even carry a magazine to the cereal section for "good measure" (heehee I kid, I kid).

I took the double jogger out for a test drive yesterday afternoon!  Had Delano on one side and the empty infant seat on the other (I totally meant to grab Curious George for the infant seat!).  The stroller itself was smooth as butter, but HOLY CRAP my pregnant ass did NOT want to push it up any inclines!!  My mom actually pushed it up almost all of the hills!  And it wasn't because the stroller was heavy - because it wasn't that heavy - it was because Baby #2 was angry about the whole experience altogether.  Baby #2 does NOT want me to sweat, I guess.  Baby #2 is anti-workout.  On the plus side, it was an AWESOME day to be outside with the kiddo.  About 73 degrees and cloudy all day.  PERFECT!

It's me and Lucas!  Just kidding.  Lucas doesn't run.

Delano's nap times have been ever changing lately, and he obviously didn't consult me before deciding to revamp his nap schedule on a daily basis.  He used to nap like clockwork, and occasionally he'll have a day that is exactly like the old clockwork schedule:  Up at 8:00, down for a nap at 10:00, up at noon, down for a nap at 4:00, up at 6:00, and then down for the night at 8:00.  Nowadays, he may wake up at 7:30, or he may wake up ay 9:30.  Then he MIGHT be ready for a morning nap 2 hours later.  If he doesn't take his morning nap, then he'll for sure be ready for a nap by about 1:00 or 2:00, which will usually nix the late afternoon nap.  At one point I thought he was done with morning naps because he skipped them for three days in a row, but then he was back to AM sleeping by the fourth day.  Sometimes he'll fall asleep for a nap right away, sometimes he'll play/fuss for a while before he falls asleep.  The other day, he played (and lightly fussed here and there) for an HOUR AND A HALF in his crib before he passed out.  Sometimes he naps for 45 minutes, sometimes he naps for 2 1/2 hours.  And it's not that I don't try to keep him on a regular schedule.  I do, unless there's something going on that alters it.  It's just that he's growing up and trying to figure out what kind of schedule his body wants right now.  He likes to be awake!  I personally think he should stick with the 2 naps at 2 hours each schedule.  FOREVER.  :) 

Delano's new signs lately include "octopus" (waving his arms around wildly), "book" (opening and closing his palms like a book), "thank you" (kind of looks like blowing a kiss) and "more" (forming circles with his hands and tapping his fingers together).  Ironically, "more" was one of the very first signs we ever started using with him 6 months ago, but he just now started doing it back.  He knew what it meant after a while, just never performed it himself.  And now he does it all the time.  He's basically replaced his sign for "eat" for the moment with "more", which is totally fine.  His belly wants more of whatever's coming!  He also really like's the sign for "bug"- it makes him laugh - but he can't quite do it yet.  It requires a little more coordination!

This is the actual sign for octopus.  We prefer flailing our arms around like we're drowning.  It's way more effective and really gets your point across.  :)

UH. DORBS.
Bug - put your thumb on your nose and wiggle your first two fingers.  Delano just kind of puts his hand up against his face and waves.  Sort of, buddy!

Yesterday (the 16th) was both the day Delano hit 14 months old and I hit the 28 week (third trimester) mark with Baby #2.  I didn't get any good pics yesterday for 14 months, NOR did I take my 28 week belly pic.  It was a busy day!  So maybe I'll get around to it today or tomorrow.  But I did take this pic of D napping in the car.....


No comments:

Post a Comment