Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cabin Trips and Climbing Stairs

This past weekend Lucas and I spent time with friends up in a cabin in the Nantahala Gorge between Andrews and Bryson City, North Carolina, which is only about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Chattanooga.  The boys went fly fishing while the girls relaxed with the kiddos.  It was a GORGEOUS weekend with perfect weather and perfect temperatures.  We had BLTs for dinner Friday night (by default - the only restaurant in town closed before we got there, so we ate our Saturday lunch for dinner and ate there for lunch Saturday instead) and grilled steaks for dinner Saturday night.  Lucas opted out of fishing on Sunday, so he and I took Delano on a short hike to a nearby waterfall instead before we packed up and hit the road.

P.S.  The hike to the waterfall was straight down, and therefore straight up on the way back.  With steps built into the steep portions.  GOOD LAWD this pregnant lady thought she was going to die!

Staring at each other.

One thing I didn't even THINK about for this trip was the possible need for baby gates.  I thought to bring a portable high chair, but not any baby gates.  So of course one of the first things Delano did Saturday morning was CLIMB UP AN ENTIRE FLIGHT OF STAIRS.  This was a first, as he hasn't had access to the stairs in our house to try them out.  And then of course after that first time he wanted to climb the stairs over and over and over again.  I had to push a giant lounge chair in front of the base of the stairs to keep him from climbing them, as well as lay a dining room chair down in front of the stairs leading to the lower level to keep him from trying to go down, since there wasn't a door I could close.  It was successful, but every once in a while he would pitch a fit that his staircase was blocked.  Because life is hard and unfair when you're little.

Note to self:  Next time, pack the baby gate!

What?  Lily's trying to eat?

Another new concept that appears to have been added to Delano's life lately is the attachment to a "blankie".  The only item Delano has ever shown any attachment to so far has been his pacifier.  But a few days ago, while I was getting him out of his crib, he reached down, grabbed his soft blanket, shoved it onto my chest and laid his head down on it.  And now when he's tired he walks around holding it up to his ear, or wants me to put it on my chest while I hold him.  He doesn't cry for it (and he actually doesn't cry for his pacifier either right now), but if it's there, he's all about it.  Which means I should probably find another one to stash away as a backup in case this one ever goes missing!

Sleepy baby!

So the minivan is officially tagged and titled, and the tags on my Rav4 expire on October 31st.  So by the end of the month, I'll be a full-time minivan-driving mom.  I'm terrified of driving the van because it's so much bigger than my car (parking that monster = ahhhhhh!), but I'm super excited about all the space I'm going to have!  The stroller isn't going to take up the ENTIRE back space anymore, especially since I'll be carting around a double stroller.  And I'm excited about the keyless entry and electric doors.  And I'm excited about the heat/air vents throughout the back.  And I'm excited about how much easier it is to get Delano in and out.  I'm excited for EVERYTHING about it except driving it!  But ah well.  I guess I'll learn and it will become old hat in no time.  Right, minivan moms???  Driving it like a pro WILL happen, right???



It was never my dream to drive a minivan - I was definitely one of those people who said I would NEVER own a minivan - but it WAS my dream to have a bunch of kids, which is actively a work in progress.  :)

I have a week and one day left before I am officially in my 3rd trimester!  And I've been chewing Tums like candy for weeks.  Which I also did the first time around - I just don't remember when the heartburn started.  I'd have to check my journal, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't until I was well into the 3rd trimester.  But I definitely remember that it was BAD there towards the end.  As in REAL BAD.  My insides were ON FIRE from all the heartburn I was having, and the only thing I could pinpoint it to was the fact that I was existing (and pregnant).  I would have to sleep partially upright, because if I laid all the way down I would burp up what seemed like pure acid in my mouth.  It was horrible.  And I totally anticipate that it will be just as horrible this time around.  OH THE FUN.


P.S.  I just checked my journal from the first pregnancy.   It looks like I started to get horrible heartburn at night between 29 and 31 weeks, but never had to deal with it during the day. 

I'm ready for Baby #2 to get here!!  Well, I'm sort of ready.  I haven't gotten everything done quite yet that I know will be harder to do with two kiddos in the house (like getting the guest bedroom moved into the office), but minus my to-do list, I'm ready!  I enjoy being pregnant, but I'm ready to not be so exhausted anymore.  You moms of multiple children out there just laughed and I know why......obviously two young children versus one young child is going to be exhausting!  What I meant by that was that I'm tired of being physically exhausted, as in being out of breath after walking up just three stairs.  I'm ready to be back in shape and on the move again.  I'm ready to run!


No comments:

Post a Comment