Friday, December 5, 2014

Breakups Are Hard (Part Four)

If you aren't yet familiar with my Breakups Are Hard saga, here's Part One, Part Two and Part Three.  It may seem daunting, but it's an entertaining ordeal.  And at the point that there was a Part Three, I knew there would be a Part Four.  I just wasn't sure when it would happen.


Sadly, Part Four isn't nearly as entertaining as the rest.  It's quite lackluster, actually. 

However, when I left off with April, we had agreed that she WOULD NOT call me again.  That if we happened to see each other out we could say hi, but that we wouldn't be calling each other or hanging out or rekindling any sort of friendship outside of common courtesies. 

Wellllllll.......guess who's been calling my phone AGAIN?  A "restricted" number.  And I know it's her.  I can block "anonymous" calls on my phone, but I can't block "restricted" ones. 


Here's the history of restricted calls since mid-August:

9/10/14 - once (wow, it started earlier than I thought!)
10/1/14 - once
10/14/14 - once
10/23/14 - once
11/1/14 - once
11/24/14 - once
11/25/14 - once
11/26/14 - once
11/27/14 - once
11/29/14 - once
12/3/14 - once

So in three months, she called eleven times, with five of those calls happening the week of Thanksgiving (I JUST WANTED TO WISH YOU A HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAMNIT AND SEE WHAT YOU WERE DOING AND MAYBE COME OVER AND SEE THE KIDS AND LET'S BE FRIENDS AGAIN).


Oh and once she actually sent a text last week immediately following one of the phone calls.  It said, "Hello".

I haven't answered a single call, and she hasn't left a single message.  In fact, during the week of Thanksgiving, I stopped just ignoring the calls and began to send them straight to voicemail.  A normal person would TOTALLY know when they were just sent to voicemail.......but she doesn't know anything at all about technology, so I'm sure she has no clue.


So.....I finally decided to change my phone number.  And let me tell you, I'm completely disappointed with the ease in which that was possible.

I'm pretty certain I was given my old phone number when I was 18 years old.  That means I had the same cell phone number for 17 years - almost half my life!!  So when I decided that changing my phone number was what needed to be done in order to make the calls stop, I went into the Sprint store, knowing it would take a while.  I mean, MY ENTIRE IDENTITY WAS CHANGING.

The guy at the front door sent me away, telling me to do it online.


So that night (Wednesday night), Lucas and I signed into our Sprint account to see what all was involved in changing a phone number.  Here's basically how it all went down:

Sprint.com:  So you want to change your number?
Me:  I'm looking into it.
Sprint.com:  Here's where you say yes.  Are you ready?
Me:  I think s.........
Sprint.com:  NEW NUMBER GRANTED!  WRITE IT DOWN, TELL YOUR FRIENDS, HAVE A GOOD DAY!  I SAID GOOD DAY!

And just like that, my old number was NO MORE.  Like it never happened.  Like the last 17 years of my life just didn't even happen.


Ok so maybe that's a little dramatic.  But still, I feel like changing my number of 17 years should have been way more involved.  Yet there was no questioning, no cuddling, no mourning......I didn't even have to do it in person.  And if I didn't like my new number (I did discover that they're auto-generated) I could have changed it again with just a few clicks.  But my new number seems pretty easy to remember, so I'm keeping it.

Ya know, for the NEXT 17 years.

At least I won't be missing any more restricted calls, because April definitely does not have my number anymore.  And when she calls my old number again (or if she already has), there's a man to tell her that the number she has dialed is incorrect.  I'm sure that's a doozie piece of information!



So now I shall bask in the glow of my new phone number.  A phone number that only a select few currently have.  A phone number that certain individuals DON'T have.  A phone number that the telemarketers haven't even been enlightened about yet. 

A phone number that I have to look at to make sure I'm saying it right.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment