Monday, August 25, 2014

Squishy Bellies and High Expectations

Here's another blog post I started back in April (APRIL!!!!) and never finished:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have unrealistic expectations for my post-baby bump, and I'm fully aware of that.  I don't need anyone to tell me that "it's only been 4 weeks" or "it takes time" or "you look great!" to convince me that my weight loss expectations are set on LEVEL HIGH.  But I'm such a slacker when it comes to motivation (and will power) that I try to use my high expectations as fuel towards my goal.  Is it working?  Ehhhhhhhhhhh..........did I mention that I'm a slacker?

Ok, so it's not that I'm really a slacker, per say.....it's just that it typically takes me a LONG time to actually fall solidly into a beneficial, healthy routine.  It takes me only moments to decide that I'm going to do it, and yet it takes me eons to follow through.

Since having had 2 children in the past 17 months, my body has become "mom fluffy", but that was to be expected.  What I didn't expect was to fall back into my old crappy eating habits, and that it would be SO HARD to break them once again.

Sadly, this makes me want those fries!

Almost a year to the day before becoming pregnant with Delano, I decided to take up running and switch to healthier eating habits.  I started with the Couch to 5k running plan and cut refined carbs out of my diet.  Over the course of many months, I managed to lose about 25 pounds and put myself in the best shape I had been in in a LONG LONG time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's apparently as far as I got.  And of course I have NO IDEA what else I was going to say, since those thoughts came pouring out four months ago.  But since the blog was about fitness and running, I'll just keep on talking about it from my current perspective!

So it's now August - almost September.  I've been running on the regular (or at least semi-regular) and I've managed to nix those horrible eating habits I mentioned before.  So woohoo to that!!  I still have my moments of eating pure crap, but it's nothing like it was four months ago (though I did just eat the last very large piece of birthday cake from Delano's birthday party).  I'm back to ordering veggie plates and salads and healthier menu items for lunch and avoiding drive-thrus just about completely.  I've dropped from 140 lbs post-baby to about 131 lbs.  So it hasn't been a hard-core git'er done process, but a very slow and gradual one.

Scale happy dance.

Another bonus to losing weight is that I was just recently able to squeeze back into my pre-preggo jeans and shorts.  It only took almost 7 months post-Lucy!

I'm not physically where I want to be yet, but I'm getting there.  I've still got "fluff" all the way around my middle that I'd like to slim down.  I'd like to slim a good chunk of it down over the next month, given that I'm in a wedding at the end of September and would like if my underwear didn't create a mega-dent in my side for all to admire (maybe I'll buy some Spanx!).  And I'd like to have ALL of it slimmed down by the other wedding that I'm in this December, because the bride and the other two bridesmaids are SKINNY MINIS.  I would really hope that by mid-December I could lose about 8 more pounds.

SOMEBODY have a gypsy wedding and ask me to be a bridesmaid!!!!!!

I've definitely hit a plateau at the 131 mark.  So as of today, I'm cutting beer out of my diet (DON'T PANIC IT'S ONLY TEMPORARY).  Not that I have a problem - I only drank 3 1/2 beers the entire time I was at Brewfest, a BEER FESTIVAL - I just think that in order to kick-start the move on this plateau, I need to cut out my typical one or two beers that I have while watching TV with the hubs after the kids have gone to bed.  It's going to be tough because it's SO NICE to plop down on the couch in the late evening after pouring a nice, frothy, cold Guinness, but unless I want to see that scale stay right where it is, I need to make a change.



At least all the birthday cake in the house is gone now.  And the donuts from that darn too-good-to-resist Krispy Kreme Groupon Deal.  They're finally gone, too.  Delano thought  those "bagels" were AWESOME.

I've also only got two months left to train for the Ragnar Relay coming up in October.  I'm not nervous about it because I think it will go just fine, but I'm definitely uber excited!!  I would just like to be a little more prepared for it than I am at the moment.  Time to get off the treadmill and run outside more.  I debated on signing up for the Four Bridges Half Marathon happening in October, but so far have opted against it.  I could always change my mind, but I'm thinking maybe I should stick with just the Ragnar in October shoot for the Scenic City Half Marathon in February. 

Speaking of running outside......I ran with the double jogger for the first time ever last week.  HOLY SORE ARMS, BATMAN.  My awesome Bumbleride Indie Twin jogger glided along the path like a breeze, and I did pretty well on level and downhill terrain.  But the inclines were a doozie!  The stroller weighs 34 lbs, Delano weighs 32 lbs, and Lucy weighs about 14 lbs.  That's going to take some practice!  My friend Stacie (a seasoned double jogger runner as she has two sets of twins) said that practicing with the jogger will make me a stronger and faster runner overall.  I can totally see why!

Alright.....time to wrap this blog up and move on to some other things I need to get done.  Adios por ahora!

No comments:

Post a Comment