Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Happy Birthday To Me (Almost)

It's May!  And my birthday is in two days!


I will be 34 years old.  Which just seems so crazy to me.  I'm 34 with an 8-month-old.  If you had asked me in high school if I thought THAT would be my life I would have laughed in your face.  Ok I probably wouldn't have laughed directly in your face.  I was really nice in high school with one or two horribly out-of-character exceptions (I'm still embarrassed about those mean girl moments, even though I apologized to at least most of the people involved).  But I definitely would have thought you were wrong simply because I thought I would have had babies WAY before the ripe old age of 34. 

However, with that being said, I think my 34-year-old life is pretty perfect and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I apparently needed all that time to grow up first.  I made a lot of poor decisions in my twenties and broke a few hearts that didn't deserve what I dished out, and I don't wish that on anybody.  But I am now older and wiser and I DEFINITELY know better.  So yay to that.


From the children's book, I Like Myself, by Karen Beaumont.

So yesterday my mom took me shoe shopping and to lunch for my birthday.  I picked out a pair of Brooks running shoes from Front Runner and a pair of J-41s from DSW.  When I was telling a girl last week about how my feet have changed since having a baby and how they pretty much hate everything besides flip flops, she recommended that I look into the J-41s.  They're made by Jeep, so they're outdoorsy, durable and "trail approved".  I've been wearing them all day, and I must say, they're pretty fabulous.  My feet haven't hurt AT ALL.

I've been faithful to Sauconys in the running shoe department for years.  But since my feet now hate me, I decided to try a new brand, hence why I went with the Brooks.  We'll find out during the run this Saturday if I like them!

New shoes!!

I found some pretty fabulous high heels while shoe shopping, but who are we kidding?  How practical is a pair of FM stilettos for a stay-at-home mom with an 8-month-old?  Especially when what I NEED are running shoes and everyday shoes that don't hurt my feet?  So I went with the latter.  It's like buying the comfortable nursing bra over the super sexy lacy one from Victoria's Secret.  Lucas would much rather be eyeballing something sexy, and I'd rather be wearing something sexy (eh.....sort of....that's debatable), but it's just not practical.

P.S.  If you don't know what FM shoes are, Google it.  Or don't.  You might wish you hadn't, depending on who you are.  But at least then you'll be "in the know" if you ever hear it in a shoe store or public bathroom someday.  And then you can mentally agree or disagree with whoever is having the conversation.

Not a real image, but you get the drift on what I DON'T need, but still like to pretend that I do.

Delano is still doing great.  He just keeps becoming more and more of a wiggle worm.  Sitting still is like TORTURE.  So even though he can't walk (or even crawl) yet, he will flip and twist and fling and roll his body around to get try to get to what he wants.  And he insists on touching and tasting EVERYTHING.  Nothing is safe from his mouth.  Lucas even caught him eating some of my hair off the bedroom floor the other day and exclaiming "MMMMMM!" while doing so.  Yeah, buddy......"mmmmm".......blech.

Like the lady from "My Strange Addiction" who eats cat hair.....MMMMMM!

Delano will be 9 months old next Thursday, which also seems crazy.  He seriously needs to stop growing.  Even though there are tons of fun moments and "firsts" waiting right around the corner, he still needs to stop it.  Next up he'll be going to college and I'll wonder where the time went!

Ah well.  I guess I should get some work done since the baby is napping.  I've got one environmental report due out on Monday and a second due out on Wednesday.  Time's a'wastin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment