Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Nine Weeks Preggers

Happy Memorial Day!!


I am 9 weeks pregnant TODAY.  And a lot of you still don't know anything about it.  But you will - soon.  My doctor appointment is this Wednesday, so as soon as I get my "thumbs up", I will announce it and you will be reading this blog post.


I thought that I should start comparing this pregnancy with the last one, just to see what's changed.  I wrote about my first pregnancy in a journal (via a Word document), since I didn't start my blog until after Delano was born.  And people aren't kidding when they say you should write things down about being pregnant - you REALLY DO forget what happened and when!!  On that note, it's the same with raising your child....if you don't make notes and write down when things happen, when someone asks you, "When did he start doing so-and-so?", your answer might be, "Uhhhhhhmmmmmm............a while ago??".  It's the brain.  It just doesn't function at full force anymore.

So anyways.....I pulled up my journal and went back to find the point where I was about 9 weeks along.  I actually skipped writing between 7 weeks and 13 weeks, but here's what I said about 7 weeks:

  • No morning sickness as of yet (thank goodness), but I have discovered that every few hours I get suddenly STARVING hungry and then nauseous, like if I don’t eat something right then I’m going to throw up.  And I don’t like my whole grain pasta with pesto anymore.  I made it for lunch the other day, took a few bites, and turned it away.  Other than that, nothing different!  

In comparison, part of that is the same.  I'm STARVING every couple of hours and feel nauseous if I don't eat right away.  The only difference is, I also get nauseous periodically throughout the day, all day every day.  I'm not nauseous all the time, but I definitely have several waves of it hit me throughout the day and sometimes in the night, too.  I've thrown up three times since being pregnant, all in the middle of the night, and I can only assume it's pregnant-related since there would be no other reason for it.  I thought that maybe it was after I'd eaten a bunch of sweets, but during a test-the-theory attempt on Saturday (I ate a big ole' piece of red velvet cake with cream cheese icing), I didn't get sick.  So I haven't pinpointed the culprit yet.


It wasn't this!  Mmmmmmm........

At this point in the last pregnancy, I wasn't showing AT ALL.  I also started out thinner (I was in tip top shape at the start of the last one) and was running a LOT, covering a lot of mileage.  This time is way different.  I started out about 8 pounds heavier than last time, with my running stints being few and far between with very little mileage.  And right now, at 9 weeks, I am definitely showing.  It's not necessarily obvious that it's a baby belly (though Lucas says there's no doubt that it is), but it's been hard to cover up regardless!  My jeans are way tight (and therefore look awful) and I've already slipped into some maternity clothes.  I feel like a fatty for sure.  But keeping in mind that this is happening at 9 weeks (or really a week or so ago to start), here's what I said last time at 13 weeks:


  • I still pee ALL the time including several times a night, and I’m still hungry and tired, but not as hungry and tired as I was even just a week ago.  So that part has mellowed out a bit.  I’m still at the stage where I don’t look pregnant, just fat, but I can tell when I look at myself in the mirror naked that it’s a different kind of “fat” because of the way it’s positioned.  My belly actually bulges some from the top….and when I suck in to try to look skinny it doesn’t go away.  But with clothes on, I just look a little chunky around the middle.  I can’t wait until I look pregnant and get away from just looking chunky!!

So at 13 weeks last time, I probably looked like I do right now.  I looked at the old pictures, but it's hard to tell if that's about where I am since my body is different post-baby than it was pre-baby.  It will be interesting to compare belly shots in a few weeks!

Once I moved into my 2nd trimester in my journal, I made this comment about the first trimester:


  • I did notice that in my first trimester I wanted and ate a lot of junk food (as in drive-thru fast food).

I can agree with that for sure.  I have wanted nothing but carbs and salt the past few weeks.  I've had a few sweet things, but I don't crave them.  There is actually an entire pie in my fridge right now that has been sitting there for weeks untouched.  That's normally unheard of.  But when I get hungry, I want bread and chips and thick, thick foods.  Forget the salad, forget the sugar, forget the lean protein.  So I basically crave junk, which I know is FANTASTIC for my mid-section.


I can't stand the smell of some of the foods I've made for Delano.  The turnip I steamed made me want to vomit right in the floor.  And the yellow squash and butternut squash?  Forget it.  I can feed them to him, I just can't smell them.  I won't ACTUALLY vomit, but I'll feel like I want to.  And there are a few things I've taken a few bites of and then just been like "DONE".  I had a bite of a mini BBQ sandwich at work last night....the rest went straight in the trash.  And it wasn't because it was gross to anyone else.  People were eating them up like crazy.  But I just couldn't do it.  And last week, I made a pot roast for dinner.  Took a few bites of it and then couldn't take another bite.  Wouldn't have been able to swallow it if I tried.  And I normally love pot roast.  So I just stuffed myself with mashed potatoes instead.

So there you have it.  9 weeks pregnant and gaining weight!


UPDATE:  According to the baby's ultrasound measurements, I am actually 8 weeks along with a due date of January 8th.   I have another ultrasound scheduled in three weeks, so we'll see then if that still seems accurate!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! How exciting! You have to be pumped. I wish I thought of writing everything down, you're totally right, I can't remember anything any more and comparing pregnancies is def a good idea. I love your blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete