Monday, October 29, 2012

A Storm's A Brewin'

Hurricane Sandy is almost here.  Not HERE here....not in Chattanooga....but HERE as in on US soil.  She's actually been here since yesterday, but won't be considered to be "on land" until around 9:00 tonight.  Then it's anticipated that she will beat down on the east coast for about 24 hours straight.  This hurricane has been anticipated as the worst disaster to hit the US in decades.  As of a few hours ago, it was rumored that 300,000 people were already without power, and that the grand total is expected to be around 60 million.  And I've heard people talk on the radio all day about charging up their cell phones.

Granted, in an emergency, I would take my cell phone and charger with me.  Just like I would pack up my child, my baby daddy, my pets, my purse, my laptop, some clothes, some food for everybody and whatever else was necessary and/or possible.  But doesn't it seem kind of dumb to be concerned about having your cell phone charged?  I'm no expert, but I would assume that if there's zero power, there's zero cell phone.  Unless you're picking up some sort of radio signal.  And even if there is a standing/working cell tower nearby, it would be impossible for anybody to get through to anyone.  I know this from tornado damage experience that didn't even remotely come close to the damage that Sandy is reportedly bringing.  Just sayin'.

It's scary to thing that a lot of people will be losing their homes within the next 24 hours.  We can only hope that nobody loses their life.  It's also a sad day for the animals.  There will be those that will be left behind by their families.  There will be those that get lost.  There will be those that have nowhere else to go but stay where they are.  As humans, we can choose to stay or go.  Pets depend on their humans to keep them safe.  I just can't even fathom the sadness and fear of a pet that's been walked out on by its human.

Sorry, I got real sad there!!  But as the saying goes, "shit's about to get real" on the east coast.  and if I didn't have a baby right now, I wouldn't hesitate to volunteer with an emergency response team.  Maybe I should just strap Delano to my chest and go?  :)

Here are a few pics I've seen of some of the storm damage so far.....






2 comments:

  1. I say we strap the babies to us & head north! I know the way & have traveled it more times than I should have. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live in Highlands, NJ (at the tip of Sandy Hook, actually), so I am very familiar with that route as well!!

      Delete