Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Breastmilk and Aqua Tots

I think my boobs are drying up.  Not to the point where I can't feed Delano (he still eats like a horse), but to the point where pumping is POINTLESS.


One might think it's my breast pump.  That obviously if Delano can eat straight from the breast with no problem, my pump must be faulty.  And granted, my pump isn't as suck-your-face-off strong as some of the more expensive ($300+) ones, but it has always worked like a charm in the past.  Actually, it worked like a charm all the way up until just a couple of months ago.

I actually think it's because I'm pregnant.  I've read a few articles that have said that if you're pregnant while breastfeeding, your milk supply may diminish quite a bit or even completely.

I'm down to FIVE bags of milk in the freezer, and one measly ounce in a bottle in the fridge.  Granted, the only times Delano gets pre-pumped milk is when I travel for work (and I leave Mom with a couple of bottles to give him while I'm gone) or when I bartend at the museum (and therefore Lucas gives him a bottle before bed).  But these are still times when D needs milk.  I'm going to try pumping at night after Delano goes to bed to see if I have any better results, and I may even try a friend's breast pump that she's no longer using (it's stronger than mine), but he may end up having to drink the formula that I bought a while back for emergencies.  I'd rather keep him on all breastmilk of course, but if there's not any to give him, then Option B will just have to do!

"How soon is too soon?  Not soon enough.  Laboratory tests over the last few years have proven that babies who start drinking cola during the early formulative period have a much higher chance of gaining acceptance and 'fitting in' during those awkward pre-teen and teen years."

So how about weaning him?  Well, I would like to breastfeed him until he's AT LEAST a year old, probably even longer.  His teething may determine that time frame.  And that's another big reason - he doesn't have any teeth yet for finger foods.  But since I'm pregnant, my doctor definitely wants him weaned a few months before I have Baby #2 so that my boobs have a "fresh start" for the new one.  So Delano has about 4-5 months before he needs to be off the tit.  Classy.....I know.  :)

My little ones are going to be about 16 months apart, like these two.  :)

So I worked Friday and Saturday night at the museum for their VIP Riverbend viewing club called Club Hunter.  Friday I got there at 6:00 and left at 11:30 (home around midnight).  Saturday I got there a little before 5:00 and left a little after midnight (home closer to 1:00).  And of course the baby doesn't care how late I'm up.....he still wakes up right around 7:00, plus with being pregnant I have the joy of getting up a few times a night to pee.  Sunday I was EXHAUSTED.  I had planned on using the daytime to sweep and mop floors and what not, but I ended up watching mindless TV and reading gossip magazines because I didn't feel like doing a thing.  Which of course made me think of how it's going to be once this second baby is born......a baby who will NOT be going down for the night at 8:00, and who will NOT be sleeping 11-hour nights and set nap times.  A baby who will be waking up in 2-3 hour shifts to be fed, all while having a toddler who will be demanding my time as well.  But you know, I can't complain.  It will be fine, and I KNOW this.  I have LOADS of friends with multiple young children, and even one friend who has a 3-year-old as well as 10-month-old triplets (all boys)!!

It will be an ADVENTURE.  :)

Riverbend 2013 pic from the Chattanooga Fun website.  You can see the lit-up glass windows of the Hunter Museum between the Aquarium roof and the walking bridge.  That's where I was.

Speaking of naps, I laid Delano down for one about half an hour ago.  I can hear him squeaking and squealing in his room.  I have no idea what he's doing, but napping is definitely not it!  But he's happy, so he can stay there while Mommy gets a few things (like this blog post) done.

So I will be scheduling to get my hair cut and colored this week, THANK GOODNESS.  My hair is a disaster.  My layers are an uneven mess, there are about 3 inches of roots and gray hair before you get to the highlights that were added months ago, and my ends are dead as dirt.  My head has been desperate for a re-do for awhile, and I've just been slacking.  But not anymore.  And I'm super excited.

My Savior.

Another thing I'm excited about doing this summer is enrolling Delano in swim lessons!  He'll be taking group lessons at the new Aqua Tots Swim School that will be opening up on Cherokee Boulevard in July.  Aqua Tots is $74/month (weekly lessons) versus the YMCA's price of $45-$85 per lesson.  And they do offer 2-lessons-a-week and 3-lessons-a-week packages for discounted rates.  But I can't afford more than one lesson a week nor do I think he needs it at his age. But I'm excited for him to learn how not to drown!

My baby's future!

No comments:

Post a Comment