Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Day 1 of Juice Cleansing

Day 1 of my Raw Generation juice cleanse and I am HUNGRY.  As in, every morsel of food I see I want to put in my mouth, especially carbs.  And my house doesn't lack for carbs with two toddlers running around.  I've got crackers and cereal and granola and snacks coming out of my hoo-ha.  Of course all I get to do the next 3 days is LOOK at it!

All day long all I've thought about is food.  Seriously, like I've thought about stuffing my face with ALL types of food......Mexican, Italian, American, Chinese.....you name it, I want it.  But I was prepared for this.  I was forewarned that I would be STARVING on the first day, and I was not lied to.


I was woken up this morning at 6:35 am by my darling son, who needed to pee and was ready to face the day.  I had already mapped out my day as far as my juice cleanse bottles went.....I was going to drink them at 9:00, 12:00, 2:00, 4:00, 6:00 and 8:00.  Around 8:35 I was about to eat my arm off (which is not normally the case, so I'm guessing my body already KNEW it wasn't getting any "real" food today) so I popped open Bottle #1.

Ingredients:  apple juice, spinach juice, kale juice, collard juice, lemon juice, carrot juice

I was really hoping that with apple juice listed as the first ingredient, it was going to taste like apple juice with a little bit of greenery tossed in.  Well......I'm not an expert on green juices or green smoothies or anything of the sort (this may have actually been my first green drink ever), but it definitely did NOT taste like earthy apple juice. It absolutely and definitely tasted GREEN, even though it wasn't thick.  And the thing is, I loooooove greens.  I love cooked spinach and kale and collards as much as anyone else who loves greens.  But this drink was hard going down.  And it wasn't terrible - it actually WAS sweet - but it was just tough.  It took me an hour, and I thought I was going to throw up about halfway through.  My body wanted to eat the bowl of Cheerio's that my son was enjoying instead.



Around 12:45, I popped open Bottle #2.

Ingredients:  carrot juice, fresh-squeezed orange juice, ginger juice and lemon juice

This one wasn't bad.  Not overwhelmingly carrot, which I was afraid it might be.  I did add a little extra orange juice into it (a recommendation by the company if you want to change the flavor a little), but overall not bad.  It still took me an hour to finish it, though.  And I did also eat an apple, which is totally allowed if you're trying your best to stick to the plan without cheating.  Raw fruits and veggies are A-Ok.

I was still starving, though.  I got to watch my mom enjoy her cottage cheese-avocado-cucmber-tomato salad (A FAVE), and I got to stare at my kids while they ate cheese, yogurt, Cheez-Its and peanut butter on graham crackers.

I wanted to hide in a corner with the box of Cheez-Its.



Around 2:30, I popped open Bottle #3.

Bottle #1 ALL OVER AGAIN, just with a different picture on the label as a distraction

This time around, I tried blending it with some frozen fruit (peaches, pineapples, mangos and bananas) to make a smoothie.  I don't really have an answer as to whether it was better or not.  It still took an hour to drink.  And I think I determined that more than anything, it's the smell that messes with me.  If I cover my nose, it's MUCH better.

I also ate a plum.  So at this point I've had three juice bottles, an apple and a plum.  I'm not regretting my decision to do the cleanse.  But man, I am hungry.  And EVERYTHING sounds good!



I realized at about 4:30 that I hadn't drank any water today.  I'm supposed to be drinking at least 4 glasses of water a day along with my juices.  But seriously, by the time I finish one juice, it's close to time to start the next one, and the last thing I'm thinking of is putting more liquid into my body.  And even though I'm hungry, my body is actually full on the juices.  Sounds crazy, right?  But that's exactly how I feel.  Like I'm starving but yet couldn't eat another thing.

I did manage to miraculously drink about 16 oz of water before popping open Bottle #4 at 5:00.

Ingredients:  carrot juice, apple juice, beet juice and lemon juice

This one was also not bad, in the same lines as the carrot one earlier.  It's REALLY red and looks like liquid raspberry Jello, but (I guess) tastes like carrots and beets.  I'm not really sure what liquefied beets are supposed to taste like.  Again, it's way better if I don't smell it.  I'm not sure if I can taste the apple or lemon juice in it.  Maybe the flavor's in there - I just don't know.  This one also took me about an hour to drink.  It seems that I definitely cannot chug any of these juices!

I ended up skipping Bottle #5.  It was a repeat of bottles #1 and #3 and I just couldn't do it......plus I was fairly certain that there was no way that I could make it through two more bottles before bedtime.  So I skipped #5 and am now on Bottle #6.

Ingredients:  pineapple juice, cucumber juice and aloe vera juice (also notice that it is an "excellent source of love")

This one also isn't bad.  Tastes pretty much like a cucumber.  I like cucumber so that's okay with me (though I think it would be MORE awesome if it tasted like pineapple).  It was the best of the six, though I'm sure at the end of the day it was supposed to be.

Between bottles #4 and #6 was dinnertime.  My husband cooked up a saucy chicken and rice casserole that smelled delish....that of course I couldn't eat.  I had another apple, an orange, a plum and a banana.  And oddly, I wasn't hungry at dinner.  I wanted to eat for sure, but I wasn't actually hungry.  I could have stuffed my face with half of that chicken casserole paired with a beer or two and been a really happy, stuffed camper.  But I was also okay with the fact that I didn't.  Partly because I want to succeed at this cleanse and kick off the last leg of this weight loss with a bang, and partly because juicing isn't exactly cheap and I don't want to waste my money by ignoring what I'm supposed to do.

So tomorrow is another day!  Another day of liquid fruits and veggies.  I think I'm going to blend some banana in with Bottle #1 in the morning and see if I can tame the greenery a little.


Here's to two more days of a juice cleanse!

No comments:

Post a Comment