Thursday, September 3, 2015

Craigslist Frustrations Are Real, Y'all.

I have had success with Craigslist, from buying things to selling things to even advertising dogs up for adoption.

I personally haven't had any real "fails" with Craigslist, though I know others who have.  A friend of mine found the PERFECT house to rent, only to discover that it was a scam.  And that's not the first time that house rentals/buys have been a scam......I've known people who have knocked on someone's door only to discover that the house they went to was indeed NOT for rent/sale.  Then of course we all heard that story last year about the couple who was murdered while trying to buy a car.......

Whatever you do, people......do NOT give anybody a dime of your money until you have the product you're buying in hand.



So I don't think I got Craigslist scammed.  I know that may sound naive, but I really don't.  However, I do have some extreme Craigslist frustration going on, which is why I'm pouring it out on paper (or computer, rather).

You all know that I have been receiving CSA baskets since the first week of June.  I've been receiving half-baskets (or according to my farm, they're actually 2/3 baskets), which have STILL been too much for my family to consume in a week, even with Pinterest and Weight Watchers recipes out the wazoo that I've been cooking up.  So I've been freezing vegetables left and right.  Which is great, because I know have a ton of veggies for future use and during the winter months.  However, even with TWO refrigerators in my house, I am running out of freezer room.  Actually, I'm pretty much OUT of freezer room.  So for the past few weeks, I've been on the manhunt for an upright freezer for my overflow of veggies, along with the local beef I intend to buy and stock it with.


Something kind of like this.

So I've been shopping around for a freezer.  I have been to every store in the area, both local and commercial (Lowe's, Home Depot, Best Buy, H&H Gregg, Sears, Sears Outlet, KMart, B&B Discount, Baugh Appliance, etc) and the best deal on what I wanted was at both Lowe's and KMart (same price, same free delivery).  I've also been checking Craigslist on a daily basis.  I initially thought I wanted one of the smaller uprights (13-14 cubic feet), but decided after inspection that I definitely wanted a 16-17 cubic foot freezer.  And though not a deal breaker, I was really sold on the baskets that some of them had.

Like this.  PS - That black freezer in the pic before this one has 3 baskets, which means it's likely one of the HUGE 20+ cubic foot freezers I don't need.  Seriously, like 7 feet tall.

So I picked out a freezer from Lowe's for a good deal (when it comes to brand new freezers), and it included free delivery.  It's actually pretty similar to the stock picture above, just with mainly a different door shelf arrangement.

There she is!  Not exactly an exciting pic, huh?
HERE'S THE INSIDE!

But let's back up to a week ago, when I decided to check Craigslist for ONE last time before forking over the money for a brand new freezer.   A listing for a Frigidaire upright freezer - excellent condition, frost-free, less than a year old - popped up for $200.  It was pretty much exactly like the one I bought, minus the nifty baskets.  I had seen it stores when I shopped so I knew it was a current model.  SO I WANTED IT.  There was no phone number attached, so I responded via email that I wanted the freezer.  The "listing agent" and I went back and forth a few times.....when could I come see it, where were they located, yada yada.......then suddenly - RADIO SILENCE.  I kept sending emails and all I heard back were crickets.  I even sent an email saying something like, "that's cool if you've changed your mind about selling or if you decided to change the price, but could you just let me know SOMETHING before I move on?".  NOTHING.  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Grrrrrrr. 

The ad was still up on Craigslist even though they weren't responding to me anymore, but after three days I finally gave up and gave in.  I bought my shiny new freezer and had it delivered, and I didn't have to lift a pinky in the process.  I'm just glad that I haven't heard back from the person about that Craigslist freezer.....I'd be super irritated if they got back to me AFTER I bought the new one.

I just don't understand why some people don't have common courtesy.  I totally get that we're strangers and that neither of us will ever know who was on the other end of that conversation, and that you don't owe it to me to respond.  BUT C'MON, PEOPLE.



Somebody's mama didn't teach them right.

No comments:

Post a Comment