Wednesday, July 8, 2015

CSA Week 6

There are several things I should/could be doing right now (cleaning bathrooms and mopping, for example), but PROCRASTINATION.

Actually, I did sweep the entire upstairs and downstairs as well as vacuum the two bedrooms that have carpet.  But mopping requires vacuuming all of the wood floors right before mopping them (because ANIMAL HAIR), and since Lucas and the kids will be home in probably about 30 minutes, that's just not enough time for the floors to dry.  I always have to plan mopping right after the kids go down for naps.  I can vacuum while they're still up, but mopping is pretty much pointless unless they're going to be asleep for at least an hour.

But I AM procrastinating on cleaning the bathrooms, because it's my most despised chore.


There are also dishes to wash, but in my house, there are ALWAYS dishes to wash.

Anyway....here's my CSA loot for Week 6:

So many goodies!

My basket included a head of cabbage, onions, tomatoes, yellow "summer" squash, a cucumber, snow peas, a bell pepper, spinach and kale.  She added in the long yellow squash along the left side telling me to try "stuffing it", so I guess I'll figure that out and give it a go.  I also picked up my gallon and a half of raw cow's milk from my herd share.  Separately I purchased eggs, blackberries and strawberries, because YUM.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with all of my loot yet.....I'm still working on last week's loot!  The part of it I didn't freeze, anyway.  Last night I made homemade sloppy joes with coleslaw made out of the Napa cabbage and carrots I brought home.  I also attempted zucchini chips with my CSA zucchini but they were a fail - half of them burned and the other half were soggy.  They soggy ones were still good, just definitely not "chips".  I have a pot sticker recipe that involves snow peas I plan to make maybe tomorrow, along with a recipe for the patty pan squash I got last week, which I think I'm going to make tonight.

The yellow one is the patty pan.....that other one looks like a zucchini and a pumpkin made a baby.

Seriously, though.......I think I need to invest in a freezer, even though we already have TWO refrigerators.  With all of this freezing I'm doing to attempt to keep up with my baskets, I'm running out of room!

Here's a pic inside the foyer fridge freezer.....soup stock, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, bell pepper, chives, leeks, banana bread, who knows what else......

I have no idea where I would put a freezer.  Maybe in the dog room?  There's no space in the garage.  The foyer already has a second refrigerator in it.  I guess I could put it in the hallway "cubby" just outside of the laundry room, but then I'd have to move the cabinet currently there into the dog room.......so much stuff!

Lucas will totally veto a freezer, so I'll just have to buy it and sneak it in one day.  ;)

My parents have an upright kind of like this (though smaller without the door storage), which would be PERFECT.

Yesterday I was just talking bout signing up for a winter CSA.  But at this rate, I'll have a freezer full of veggies to last through the winter!  So maybe a winter CSA is a bad idea.

Well, I'm going to go attempt a new squash recipe - Baked Squash Marinara.  I'll let you know if it's any good!

No comments:

Post a Comment