Wednesday, July 8, 2015

A Post NOT About CSAs or Weight Watchers (Really!)

Here's a post not dedicated to food OR my scale.  SERIOUSLY, I MEAN IT.

I'm going to talk about food just a tiny bit, though, to get it out of the way.......remember how a few hours ago in my last post I mentioned that I was going to try making Baked Squash Marinara?  Well I did, and it was YUM.  I used my little patty pan squash (I was able to get three thick slices out of it) but really you could use any squash.  It was fairly simple and tasted like little squash pizzas.  Also, I wanted to mention that I figured out that my zucchini/pumpkin baby is actually called an Eight Ball Squash.  THAT is what Dana was telling me to "stuff".  And she's right.....if you google recipes for Eight Ball squash, you'll see all different kinds or recipes for stuffing it.  I considered it, but then I remembered how many recipes I already have pending for OTHER things that need to either be cooked or frozen, so I opted to dice it up and freeze it for a later date (go figure, right?).  I divided it into two portions for freezing (it was a LOT of squash).  I'll probably end up sauteing it or tossing it into a stir fry or maybe even a soup.  I don't know.....I'll figure that out later.

One more thing......Lucas came home with two bell peppers the other day and four tomatoes today (from a coworker's garden).  So now we have 3 1/2 bell peppers (that doesn't include any that are already sliced and frozen) and 8 tomatoes.  I'm thinking that preparing a spaghetti sauce is in my future.  And then I'll likely freeze at least half of it!  ;)

Is this person in my house right now??  That reminds me.....I should freeze some of my carrots!!
Maybe I should start canning, too.  Think Lucas will build me a canning pantry?  ;)

Ok, ok....I'm done talking about food from my CSA baskets.  I mean, I could keep on going with it for sure, but I promised I'd talk about other things, so here it goes!

So I just checked my work email and I have a message with a list of new work projects!  I google mapped them all and I can only feasibly do one of them located in Evansville, Indiana (the rest are 6+ hours away), but if I get it that means I'll have another project paycheck coming in.  And this one is NOT a super rush project like the last 5 I did, so it won't be nearly as stressful.  Here's hoping that tomorrow morning I'm delivered the good news that it's mine!

Me.

Speaking of checking my work email.....one of the reasons I check it 842 times a day is because my phone has stopped alerting me of new work emails.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app and have checked the settings.  The app is set to alert me of new emails with every alert setting possible, but I'm definitely not getting them and haven't been since at least May.  All I can guess is that my phone is just too old for the current gmail mobile app.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, which is several years old (the Galaxy is now up to the S5 and the S5 "Sport").  I've needed a new phone for this sole purpose alone, because when I miss work emails I miss opportunities at work projects when other people snag them up before I even see that they exist.  But I've been procrastinating on buying a new phone because I haven't had projects coming in for that extra spending money (it's like a catch 22).  The final straw, however, was when I ordered a FitBit Charge HR and discovered that my phone is too old to sync with it.  I mentioned this in a previous post when I was about to head out to Sprint for the second time to buy a refurbished S3 (for $99, compared to the $500+ for a new S4 or S5).  The ONE they had left sold within the couple of hours before I got there.  So I came home disappointed, sucked it up and won an S4 on Ebay for $152.  Not a refurbished S4, but an "excellent condition" S4 in the original box from a single owner who is upgrading to something fancier.  So it should be arriving here in the next couple of days, and I'm thoroughly excited.  Not only will I start getting alerted of work emails again (I'd better!!), but I'll be able to sync up my FitBit and start playing with it finally!

I will NOT be doing that with it.

My Ragnar Relay team had its first meeting last week to let everybody have a chance to meet, hang out, eat dinner, drink a beer, go over Ragnar basics and ask questions.  Eight team members (including me) were able to make the first meeting, and it was awesome!  We got everybody's runner positions assigned, so now everybody knows exactly what three race legs they're training for.  We'll have our next meeting during the first week of August, so that everyone who missed out the first time will have a chance to get the run-down in person and ask questions.  Ragnar is only about 3 1/2 months away!

Lucy is now 18 months old, and talking up a storm.  She'll repeat just about anything you say (or at least she thinks she is) and now says phrases instead of just words.  She constantly barks out "I GI-GIT!" (which means "I'll get it" or "I'll do it") for EVERYTHING.  She doesn't want you to help her with ANYTHING, even if she can't possibly do it herself because she's all of 2 feet tall.  She'll finally ask for help when she gets frustrated that she can't do it, whatever "it" is.  But otherwise, "I GI-GIT!!!".  She insists on watching Curious George ("George") while she drinks her bottle in the morning and at night, and will sometimes ask for "Bot" (Team Umizoomi) or "Doo-Doo-Doo" (Scooby Doo).  She had her 18-month checkup at the doc today.  Besides having a double ear infection that no one knew anything about, she's perfectly healthy, weighs 21 lbs 3 oz and is almost 31" tall.  And at 18 months old, she still only has 4 1/2 teeth!


Lucy also decided right at 17 months that she wanted to start using the potty, both pee AND poop.  At this point she's about 70/30 on going in her diaper vs using the potty, but she's working on it.  And she can sometimes tell you she needs to potty before she goes, so we actually make it in time.  We have pulled over the car numerous times in order to take her to a potty because she starts hollering "POTTY!!!" from the backseat.

Delano took a little longer to want to use the potty (he'll be 3 in 5 weeks).  Even when Lucy started sitting on the potty ALL the time, and even when he was giving HER marshmallows for doing so, he still wasn't into it.  Then suddenly, about 2 weeks after she started doing it, he just up and decided he wanted to start using the potty.  And I can probably count the amount of times he's peed in his diaper since then on one hand, and this INCLUDES overnights.  As for pooping on the potty, up until this evening, he made it almost 3 full days with a completely dry and poop-free diaper.  And then before that, he made it 2 full days with a clean diaper.  So we're almost there!!  I'd say he's about 95% potty-trained, all on his own time and within just a few weeks.  He's been told that if he makes it 3 full days with a dry diaper, we'll turn his bed into a big boy bed.  He's REALLY looking forward to that, so maybe these next 3 days will be it!


Besides potty training, Delano can talk to you about ANYTHING, can maintain lengthy phone conversations and remember things that you wouldn't have any idea that he would even remotely remember.  He can count to 20 (though sometimes a random number or two gets eliminated) and knows a lot of the alphabet letters (we're going to start working on the whole alphabet soon).  He insists on picking out his own clothes every day, can throw a ball pretty accurately and can toss a Frisbee like a pro.  Going to Hidden Hills Farm and riding their horses is one of his favorite things to do, along with going to the pool, going to "jump" at preschool open gym, going to playgrounds around town and going to either of his grandparents' houses to play (Lucy loves all of those things, too!).

The last photo session I had with the kids was their unicorn session back in May, which was kind of a belated 15-month photo shoot for Lucy.  Our next photo shoot is booked for the end of August in the Bluff View Art District, which will be a combo Delano's 3/Lucy's 18 months/family shoot.  Heidi Burks does all of our photo shoots, because we love her!  Her shoots are quick and easy, she's very reasonably priced and her packages include ALL of the photos she takes, so there are no hidden fees for buying the print rights.  You own them all.  She does photo shoots for us right now every 3 months!

Lucy 6 months ago!
Look at Delano's sweet baby face!!!
And let's not forget how I trashed the dress.  ;)

P.S.  For those of you who really loved the unicorn session, she's booking them again for fall!  She currently has 2 dates in September set up.  So be sure to go to her website and email her for info if you want in on those!

On another note, my book club meets up tomorrow night to discuss Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! by Fannie Flagg.  I'll be finishing up the book tonight and tomorrow (I got behind during those 3 crazy weeks of work projects) but I have really enjoyed the book and can't wait to finish it!  So if you're looking for a book to read, pick this one up.  It's a good one.



On THAT note, I guess I'll wrap this up so I can get to my book!  There are lots of other going-ons I could tell you about (my brother Ben getting engaged, for one!), but that basically sums up the current stuff with us, or at least a little bit of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment