Thursday, March 12, 2015

This Post Is For Stephanie. And Also For Lucas, So He Can See What I Doing For So Long.

My friend Stephanie told me that she was sick and tired of my food/exercise log blogs and that I should actually write something worth reading.  I get it......skimming over my weight fluctuations, meal choices and lack of core exercise is extremely boring.  Tack on a few opening paragraphs of how disappointed I am with the outcomes and you're pretty much rolling your eyes at me and playing my the smallest record player in the world on your fingers.

I was looking for somebody doing the sarcastic finger version, but came across this, which is ACTUALLY one of the smallest record players in the world.

I'm just kidding.  Stephanie didn't say any of that.  But she DID say she missed my old blogs, where I talked about what was going on in my life and what not.  So she DID request a regular ole' blog.  And she DID tell me to be witty.

Witty.  I'M ON IT.

SO MANY CHOICES for witty images.  I could have posted about 40 of them here and laughed ridiculously at them all.
I think this meme just needs to be a part of my life forever.  I should make it a fridge magnet.

So anyway.....back to the ole' blog......

Lucy is almost 14 1/2 months old, and she FINALLY cut her first tooth (a top tooth - not normally the first to pop out) a few days ago.  Not that we were hoping that they would have been here sooner.....it apparently works out better in the long run the longer the teeth take to pop.....but we were starting to wonder if she was going to need baby dentures.  Delano was a late bloomer on teeth as well, but not THIS late.  His started cutting teeth right around 11 months, and they came in one at a time like good little teeth.  So although it really didn't matter when Lucy cut teeth, we were glad to see that she didn't need any dental implants anytime soon.  Plus, she's totally over pureed food and REALLY wants to eat everything that Delano eats (she pretty much won't eat purees at all anymore, unless it's sweet potatoes or refried beans).  She can eat some of the "real" food, though we have to cut it up into tiny pieces.  But a lot of the stuff she wants she can't have because of the whole "no teeth" thing.  And she's still going to have to wait a while until a lot more come in, but at least she's on the right path!

Delano is 2 1/2 and a total jackass half of the time.  The other half of the time, he's the sweetest, kindest, melt-your-heart little boy.  But the "jackass" half pretty much makes the ratio feel like 90:10.  And it's basically because when he's tired in need of a nap, ALL BETS ARE OFF when it comes to what he knows he should or shouldn't do.  He hits when he's frustrated, even though he knows he's not supposed to.  He throws toys when he's tired, even though he knows he's not supposed to.  He starts to get a mean or pushy with Lucy, even though he knows he's not supposed to.  He throws tantrums, which would happen anyway, but are worse and more frequent when he's tired.  And you KNOW he knows what he's not supposed to do because at the end of a "time out" you can ask him why he's in time out and he'll tell you exactly what he did.  It's beyond frustrating, but he's a toddler and it's just what toddlers DO.  Toddlers really make you question your parenting tactics, because you constantly feel like maybe you're approaching things from an angle that's not working.  There are all these different angles of parenting nowadays, and your toddler will make you wonder if you should be doing something different.  But honestly, I'm pretty certain that if I beat him senseless every time he acted like an asshole (which I would never do, but there are parents that do this because of frustration or upbringing or being assholes themselves or whatever), he would do the SAME THING he's doing right now.  Because he's 2.  So I just keep rolling with the time outs.  He HATES time out and can verbalize why he got the time out to begin with, so that's all I can ask for at this point.  Except maybe a child who acts like an angel all of the time.  Does anybody have one of those?  Or wants to lie and say they do?  ;)

This adult temper tantrum was a good one....if I recall correctly, the lady attacked the drive-thru girl because the girl couldn't/wouldn't serve her chicken nuggets for breakfast.

What else is going on?  Hmm......for those who read my blog about Ollie (that sadly now is minus all of the great pictures because Google+ is DUMB), it's been a little over a month and my other two dogs are A-OK.  They received Vitamin K (the ONLY cure for rat poisoning, if it's not too late) for 3 weeks, and their blood now clots as it normally should.  Piper (my hound) had her full annual comprehensive exam yesterday.....all vaccinations, heartworm test, bloodwork, dental cleaning, etc......and everything came back clean and healthy.  Daisy goes in for her full comprehensive exam next Wednesday.  After hearing the story of my dogs, one of my neighbors took her dogs in for a checkup just in case, telling her vet about my situation.  Her dogs came back A-OK as well, which is great.  I just hope nobody else in the neighborhood has to deal with what I did.  Of course the only reason I know what happened (and the only reason my other two dogs are still with me) is because I opted for an autopsy on Ollie.  It wasn't that expensive, but what if I hadn't?  I might be down ALL of my dogs by now.  I was just SO confused by his death that I needed answers.  I still don't have a definite "answer" as to exactly who/what/when/where/why happened, but at least I have a good idea and was able to address the situation in the other two dogs before it became a trilogy.

Speaking of perfect timing (ok so we weren't, but that was my segway), my cat Scabie (YES she is named Scabie and YES there is a story behind that) decided to stop eating over the weekend.  Scabie is about 8 years old and one of those pets who never has problems.  As in EVER.  She doesn't have diabetes (like my other cat Allie did), she never has bladder infections (super common in kitties), she never gets sick, she never acts "off", NOTHING.  I take her in for a checkup and a rabies shot probably every 2-3 years.  I pass on most of the other vaccines because she's an indoor-only cat and therefore not exposed to things like feline HIV, and the vet is perfectly fine with that.  So OF COURSE after I've just had to experience the loss of Ollie (which included the cost of an autopsy and a cremation) and pay for a few Piper vet visits (though she's on a wellness plan now) and pay for insanely expensive Vitamin K pills for both dogs......she decides to stop eating.  As in period.  No food.  For no apparent reason.  She was totally normal besides the fact that she hadn't eaten a dribble in 3 whole days.  So OF COURSE I had to take her in.  And OF COURSE the vet ran a few tests on her and couldn't find (at least on paper) a darn thing wrong, at least not for the common ailments that typically cause cats to stop eating.  And OF COURSE the visit cost me $360.  Because she's not on a wellness plan.  Because why would she be?  I don't take her in regularly enough to need one.  OF COURSE.

Thanks, cat.  Your timing is awesome.

Me.  Right there.

Ollie wasn't a loud dog.  In fact, he was the quiet one out of the three (or four, if you count in our fourth dog Massai two years ago), but the house is significantly quieter now that he's gone for some odd reason.  I think the other two are a little quieter.  Granted, they're both still loony in their own ways......Piper is a hound and therefore acts like a crazy hound......and Daisy is strangely neurotic (always has been) and still acts like a weirdo.......but it's slightly tamer than it was in the past, even though Ollie did nothing to instigate either one when he was around.  Maybe they mourn him.  Or maybe they're afraid we "offed" him and don't want to be next.  Or maybe they know what happened and are a little afraid (not of us, but of outside).  I'm not sure, but things are definitely a little quieter around the Simington house now that we're a man down.

P.S.  It's 12:05 AM.  My husband joked (at 10pm when he went to bed) that I would be up until 2am "playing on the computer".  I swore that I would not be up until 2am.  I also said I was just going to watch "one TV show".  So technically, I should have gone to bed at least an hour ago.  I haven't watched any TV because I decided to write Stephanie's blog instead, but I also can't stay up until 2, just because Lucas would make fun of me tomorrow.  So I have about 50 minutes total to wrap this up.  1am isn't 2am, right?  ;)

I've shared this one before......still love it!!

Total change of subject.......I bought some plastic Easter eggs that the Easter Bunny is going to hide for Delano and Lucy.  I want the Easter Bunny to put things inside of the hidden eggs.  My friend Stacie puts money in her eggs (change, y'all......not dolla bills), but Delano doesn't care much about money yet and Lucy definitely can't benefit from that.  Any ideas?  I don't want to give him loads of candy.  I thought about a jellybean per egg......but he LOVES mini marshmallows so I thought about doing that....one marshmallow in some, two in others, maybe 3 or 4 in others......Lucy still can't really benefit from marshmallows but she's too young to care.....or is there something I should do for her?  Maybe puffs?  Maybe I don't need your advice after all.  Maybe I've already figured it out.  ;)

When I typed in "I love marshmallows" this image popped up as an option.  Not really sure about the reference.....or if that's even a real person......

I had something else I was going to talk about, but the whole "marshmallow" image threw me off and now I can't remember.  Let me take a minute to think........

OH YEAH.

So, for those who aren't in the loop, last October I participated in the Ragnar Relay from Chattanooga to Nashville.  I was Runner 11 last year, which means I ran 4.8 miles (though my Garmin mapped 5.2), 4.5 miles and 4.2 miles within a period of about 28 hours.  If you don't know what I'm talking about or what the Ragnar Relay is, then definitely click on the link and check it out.  In a nutshell, a team of 12 people relay run from Chattanooga to Nashville continuously over 2 days, with each person running 3 legs of the race.  Some runner positions are really hard, and some are considered easy.  I ran a "not that hard/leaning towards easiest" position.  The bestest people (the hardcore runners) ran the hardest legs (like UP the mountains), while the middle-of-the-roaders ran the legs that were between 5 and 9 miles each.  I wasn't sure what to expect until I did it, but it was one of the MOST FUN THINGS EVER that I have done.  And I knew a quarter of the way in that I SO wanted to do it again.  As in, even though Lucas and I haven't decided if we want to have Baby #3, I have purposely put off any potential talk of Baby #3 until AFTER October of this year.  That's how bad I want to do this race again.  It was THAT kick ass.

Obviously, I completely plan on running the Ragnar from Chattanooga to Nashville again this October, even if I end up with no team and have to put myself on a waiting list.  The Team Captain from last year doesn't want to be the Team Captain this year, because he's heading up another Ragnar project.  I personally don't want to be the Team Captain, because I didn't know a single soul on last year's team until I met them right before (or at) the race.  So I'd rather the Team Captain be someone who knows the majority of the people on the team.  Yes, I know them NOW, but I mean on a more personal level than just the 30+ hours we spent together.  So I'm really hoping someone steps up.  And that there's a spot for me (and my friend Angie) on the 2015 team.

Yep.  Got this.  Except it's not for SoCal.

I say all that about the TN Ragnar to bring up this.......I have been invited (by last year's Team Captain) to join the Florida Keys Ragnar Team next February 2016.  That's the Ragnar project he's heading up this time around.  At first, I just kind of laughed it off.......with a husband and 2 toddlers, I couldn't see them dropping me off in Miami to run 2 days from Miami to Key West, with the hubs traveling alone with the kids from Miami to Key West (and then ALL of us getting back from Key West to Chattavegas).  Not that the hubs doesn't know what he's doing......he would be totally fine with the kids on his own for a few days.......he's an awesome dad like that, cloth diapers and all........but would he WANT to do that trip alone?  I doubt it.  Plus, there is NOTHING for families to do in Key West.  It's a horrible vacation spot for a couple with toddlers.  Sure, the ocean is warm and shallow and therefore like a gigantic kiddie pool for the kiddos, but besides that - NOTHING.  Key West is full of bars - the end.  So I was pretty certain this whole Ragnar Florida Keys thing was a no-go.

But then Lucas suggested that I go by myself (I hadn't even considered that until he said it).  And then I suggested that he take the kids to Nashville that weekend for some Grammy and Gramps time/backup (which he hadn't even considered until I said it).  So then it began to look like a possibility.  Like a REAL possibility.  That race is 11 months away, so Delano would be 3 1/2 and Lucy would be a few months over 2.....WAY old enough to be without me (though still with their dad and grandparents) for a few days.  So something that I NEVER thought possible might actually become possible with a little active pre-planning.  Of course, IF Lucas and I were to decide to shoot for Baby #3 (which we totally have not decided on yet...we go extremely back and forth), it would be delayed from after October 2015 to after February 2016.  Sure, that gives us more time to delay making a decision about it.......but that also puts more time between the kiddos if we went for Baby #3.  Not that much longer, but 4 months longer for trying.  I don't know what we'll do.  We originally said we'd start adopting or fostering kids past 2 of our own, but we haven't discussed it much because we've been busy enough with our own two hoodlums.

Baby hood.  Real life, yo.
This is photo shopped seven shades of Sunday, but seriously, I can't even.......

Also SO super photo shopped, but still with the theme.

There are tons of other "baby gang" images to choose from, but I'll leave it at those two.  I could add in the video of the smoking baby, but we've all seen it at least twice.  ;)

P.S.  It's almost 1:30am.  I'm half an hour away from proving the hubs right.  But I haven't been just "playing on the computer" as he assumes.  I've actually been writing like crazy!!  He won't care, though.  He'll just give me crap for rolling into bed in the wee hours.  I could be curing cancer and he wouldn't care.  ;)

On the plus side, Stephanie should be thrilled to death with this post. It has nothing to do with food or fitness. ;)

But maybe I'll broach on it a LITTLE bit........just enough to say that it SUCKS to be older.  I'm not an old lady or anything, but I remember the younger days when I could eat anything I wanted and still maintain my weight.  I also remember when I thought I was fat.  Which was pretty much always, since I was never blessed with a washboard stomach like some of my friends.  I always had a "pooch", which was always a sensitive subject for me.  Add in the fact that I was constantly pale, and you just added "uncool" to my resume.  Nowadays, I would give ANYTHING for that high school "pooch".  That pooch was NOTHIN'.  I wanna tell that pooch to "have a baby or two, beeyatch".  That pooch was an embarrassment to pooches out there.  That pooch was under extreme high school pressure.  That pooch was compared to girls who weighed less than 100 lbs.  I weighed 104 lbs all through high school and STILL had a pooch that I hated.  I also had teeny boobies.  So even though in hindsight I would LOVE to look like that again, at the time I felt I had a poochy unattractive pale belly and too-tiny boobs (I apologize to Leah's parents if they're reading this......I heart them dearly and sometimes they read my blogs and I never wish to offend them but sometimes feel that I do just by being blunt for funny purposes).....but as a teenage girl, I obsessed about all the normal teenage girl woes.  Those just happened to be: boys, weight, boys, my belly, boys, my tan, boys, my hair, boys, boobies, boys.......

I would add in social media, except we didn't have that.......we didn't even have texting.  We had pagers.  And figuring out how to "code" on pagers.  Which meant we were texting, we just didn't know it.



I'm 3 minutes away from 2am.  Which means the hubs was right.......I've been up until at least 2am after I said I wouldn't.  But those of you who have read my blog can contest that I've been up writing this a long while.  The hubs won't read it, so I think you all should message (or FB post him) and say LOOK....YOUR WIFE WAS BLOGGING HILARIOUSLY INTO THE WEE HOURS just to annoy him.  You should flood his page with annoying (or hilarious) memes.  Otherwise, I'll never hear the end of it.  So start getting witty yourselves, America.  It's now 2:02am.  There's no way I can sneak into bed without him knowing.  He's like a ninja.  I'll think all is well until the morning when he says, "So......crawling into bed at 3am.....you get much sleep?".  Ass.  He's right, but ASS.

So at this point I need to make a decision about Key West.  I also need to make a decision about the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon (which also offers a half marathon) happening this November.  I've never done this race before, but I get a big discount as a CTC member, so I'll likely go ahead and sign up for it.  It's only 2 weeks after the Ragnar, but if I'm in great shape by then, I shouldn't even need to worry about a half marathon in November that close to the Ragnar.  The Ragnar is its whole own ballgame anyway.

Alright......I'm going to bed.  It's 2:10am......past when Lucas predicted......but maybe I can sneak by him and not wake him up.  Nothing like an "I told you so" ordeal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment