Monday, January 21, 2013

Less Facebook, More Socializing.

I have goals for 2013.  Not resolutions - just goals.  More like a 2013 To-Do list.  A few of the things on my list I've mentioned before in a past blog:  Print and frame family photos, create photo books and box frames, update my address book, re-velcro diapers and have a magazine day.  I'm giving myself the entire year to have these things done and marked off the list, though I'm really hoping that they get done much sooner so that I can move on to more projects!

I've already started printing family photos by ordering two canvases from our fall photo shoot (thanks, Groupon deal).  And I've decided to make our dining room wall the photo wall instead of the hallway.  You wouldn't think that it would have taken Pinterest to come up with that idea, but it did.

Delano's picture canvas in the middle!  I'm going to relocate the organizer and framed picture on this wall once I start "collaging".

I've also already started going through my magazine stash.  I was sadly mistaken when I thought going through my magazines would take merely a day.  Though I've gotten through a chunk of them, I've still got lots more to go.  Seventeen that I see just from where I'm sitting!

Actual view from where I'm sitting.  There are twelve magazines on top of the cabinet and five more on the coffee table.

Since writing that blog almost a month ago, I've come up with a few extra "To-Do" items to add to the list:

6.  Overhaul my closet/drawers
7.  Unpack and organize the office closet
8.  Create (with Lucas's help) the living room play corner
9.  Attend the monthly neighborhood book club meetings
10.  Buy a family membership to the Creative Discovery Museum
11.  Lose the baby weight plus some (maybe shoot for my first half marathon weight?)
12.  Keep on runnin' and racin'
13.  Become less connected with my laptop and TV (with the exception of my blog!)
14.  Become more connected with friends
15.  Organize (and then get rid of) the computer desk downstairs.

Ok, so I realize that some of the things on that list are more like resolutions instead of projects, but they're still on my 2013 To-Do list of things to get done!

I definitely need to become less of a Facebook junkie. 




 
On one hand, I use Facebook to do good things, such as share animals-in-need posts.  Facebook has done WONDERS for the animal rescue community and has saved TONS of lives.  Plus Facebook keeps me in touch with people I see very rarely (or even never).  But I'm on it way too much.  I need space.  Not a complete removal from it (I couldn't stand being out of the loop THAT much!!), but maybe just limit myself to checking it once or twice a day for a short amount of time. 

As for the TV, that won't be hard, I don't think.  The reason I watch so much of it now is because I am often sitting down in front of it while breastfeeding.  But I can change this by opting to read a book instead.  Since I love to read, that's not a problem.

I DO need to become better connected with real live people....aka my friends.  There are a couple of people I see regularly, but others that I haven't seen in forever.  Having a baby definitely changes everything.  You become less connected with those who don't have kids and way more connected with those who do, especially the ones who have kids relatively in the same age range as you.  I feel like that's probably because your child consumes your life.  And for me, my whole daily routine changed.  Before becoming pregnant, I worked during the day, made plans (if any) for the evening hours and went to bars on the weekends.  I also volunteered my time at the shelter during holidays and usually 1-2 Saturdays a month.  Since becoming a stay-at-home mom, I make plans during the daytime hours, am home during the evening hours and don't frequent the bars much at all.  And I'm typically at home taking care of the baby during my holidays and Saturdays instead of at the shelter.  Not that having a baby has been a bad thing - of course not - but I do need to make more of an effort to see those friends I never see anymore.  They deserve it because nothing about THEM changed.  It was my life that changed! 


I also think it's important to have mommy friends, so hopefully 2013 will bring with it some lunch dates and play dates with other mommies, and maybe a few good friendships that'll stick, too!

On a totally different note, my little rugrat turned 5 months old this past Wednesday!  Which means he's already almost HALF A YEAR OLD!!

Love.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for Mommy Dates!!!! I will totally be up for those :)

    ReplyDelete