Friday, January 25, 2013

You Da Baby

An outline of my night last night:

9:30 - Arrive home from dinner out.  Baby is sound asleep in his car seat.  Feed the dogs, take them out to pee, put them to bed.  Feed the cats, give Allie her shot, bid the cats goodnight.  Change the baby's diaper, put him in his PJs and settle down on the couch with the baby, the Boppy, a Sam Adam's Winter Ale and an episode of Top Chef.

10:30 - Lay sleeping baby in Pack N Play and go to bed.

11:15 - Baby wakes up.  Put the pacifier in his mouth and try to get him to fall back asleep on his own.  Baby just gets madder.  Take Baby out of the Pack N Play and swaddle him.  Rock baby in arms while holding the pacifier in his mouth, during which he bucks his body around fighting both the swaddle and sleep.  Baby gives up and is back asleep by 11:25.

3:30 - Baby wakes up and is flinging arm that has freed itself from the swaddle against the side of the Pack N Play.  Hold the pacifier in his mouth and lay hand on his chest to soothe him back to sleep.  Baby is back asleep by 3:35.

4:15 - Baby wakes up fighting to free his second arm out of the swaddle.  Baby starts to get mad.  Repeat 11:15 process.  Baby is back asleep by 4:30.

6:25 - Baby wakes up with both arms free of the swaddle.  Repeat 3:30 process.  Baby is back asleep by 6:30.

7:00 - Baby wakes up.  Repeat 3:30 and 6:25 process.  Baby is back asleep by 7:05.

7:15 - Baby wakes up.  Give in and get up to feed him.  Settle down on the guest bed with the baby, the Boppy and some Facebook on the cell phone.

7:45 - Baby wakes up while trying to put him back to bed.  Rock him in arms until asleep, then lay him down in the Pack N Play.  Baby begins to wake up.  Repeat the 3:30, 6:25 and 7:00 process.  Baby is back asleep by 8:00.

8:00 - Use restroom, put on workout clothes, feed the dogs, let them out to pee, feed the cats, give Allie her shot, let the dogs back inside since it's so cold out, stretch and hop on the treadmill.  Manage to get 2.2 miles and 2/3 of Grey's Anatomy in before Baby wakes up at 8:50.


Overall, not TOO shabby.  A little better than the night before.  He slept a 4-hour stretch, then a 2-hour stretch, then we got into the tidbits of the early morning.  And I got a run in, which is always a plus, even if I had hoped it would have been a much longer run.  And I'm not tired.  I'm typically tired first thing in the morning, but I'm hardly ever tired during the day, so I guess I'm getting enough sleep even if it is all chopped up.  I just wish there was something I could do to get him to STAY asleep instead of waking up for no apparent reason.  Especially in the hours before 6am!

Some people have theorized a growth spurt.  But yet when he was sleeping 12 solid hours, "growth spurt" was tossed out as well.  I've noticed that "growth spurt" seems to be the general comment made about anything AT ALL going on with a baby.  He's suddenly sleeping 12 hours?  Must be going through a growth spurt.  Oh he's barely sleeping at all?  Must be going through a growth spurt.  He's fussy today?  Must be going through a growth spurt.  He wants to be held constantly?  Must be going through a growth spurt.  You have absolutely no explanation for why your baby is acting like an asshole?  Must be going through a growth spurt!


Others have theorized that he's teething.  I guess this is possible, since his teeth could start coming in anytime between now and the fall, but I feel absolutely nothing coming through his gums, he doesn't seem in pain or ridiculously fussy and when he wakes up at night it's not an "in pain" or sad kind of cry.  He typically just fusses like he's making sure I know he's awake and then I put him back to sleep.

This made me giggle.

I think maybe I just have an annoying baby.  ;)  I'm only kidding.  Unless he really is just annoying.  Then I'm on to you, Delano!

He's pretty stinkin' cute, though.



3 comments:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized (while cleaning out my gmail) that I never responded to this!!! Oh my gosh I am SOOOO sorry! It's only been 5 1/2 months now......do you still have a question? Haha

      Delete
    2. Oh no wait...yes I did!! I just found that email, too. But since I was apparently horrible and never followed through, I'm doing so now!!

      Delete