Thursday, February 27, 2014

Stop Telling Me I Look Great.

My kiddos!

Since having had a baby 8 weeks ago, people constantly tell me how great I look.  I had one person tell me how I didn't even look like I had just had a baby.......while I was sitting down.......behind a table.

Thank you for the compliments, but they really don't have to happen.  It's REALLY okay.

I totally GET that it is common courtesy for a person to tell a once-pregnant lady how fabulous she looks after having a baby.  You're definitely supposed to do that.  Pregnant women feel everything BUT fabulous after carrying a child, so it's everybody's civil duty to make them feel pretty again.

I still have 11-13 pounds to go before I'm at my pre-baby weight, and then I'll have 6 more pounds after that to reach what I call my "race weight" again.  That's 17-19 pounds of "overweight" (for me) that I am right now.  ALMOST 20 POUNDS.  I did just had a baby, and I'm fully aware of what happens after a baby.  The majority of that extra weight is confined to my loose and untoned belly area, while the parts of me the are more considered to be just plain fatty (like my love handles and back squish) are probably more likely attributed to all of the junk food I craved and ate while pregnant.  (Tubs of cake icing?  I WOULD NEVER...........where's the spoon?)

My "race weight".

After I had Delano, I was back in my pre-baby jeans within no time.  A couple of weeks, max.  People told me I looked great, and I would smile and thank them because I DID feel like I looked pretty good after just having had a baby.  I was still heavier and lumpier than when I started, but I was in my old clothes, and that made me happy.  But this time around, I don't feel good about myself yet.  I was still wearing maternity pants up until a week ago.  I tried on every pair of jeans in my house - even my "fat jeans" - and not a single pair of them fit.  I was bummed that I needed to go buy bigger pants, but also bummed that I was still in maternity pants.  And I would probably still be wearing maternity pants had my mom not made me go shopping for new pants, since she knew I'd feel better being back in regular pants, even if they were a few sizes bigger.

Me and Delano when he was about 10 weeks old.

I don't need people to remind me that "it took 9 months to grow a baby.....", or that since it's my second baby and the kiddos are so close together in age that it takes longer to lose the flab.  I know all of this.  I knew it before I got pregnant with #2.  I was prepared to have to work at it a lot harder in order to work it off.  I was also prepared that it would take me a while to break up with my junk food cravings.  (We still see each other on the side here and there, and often have an occasional no inhibitions one-night stand.  It's just so hard to let go of something you love so much, even though you know how much of a bad influence it is.)

I appreciate the kindness of others.  I do.  And if you really think I look awesome, then thank you.  But I don't need compliments tossed at me just to be nice.  I'd much rather have an honest conversation:  "So how do you feel 8 weeks after having a baby?  Do your old clothes fit?  No?  Well that's okay, because you'll get there!  You've started running again, right?  Well that's what burned the weight off the first time you lost a lot of weight, so you've just gotta keep working on building up your mileage again.  BURN BABY, BURN.  Wanna do some P90X?  Yeah, me neither.  How's the junk food treating you?  Mmmmm, a chocolate molten cake sounds yum.  Wanna go get one?  I'll grab my keys.  You can eat a salad for dinner.  Or run it off tomorrow.  Or we can lay in the floor and do a few sit-ups after we get back home.  Three or four should do it."

I'll get to where I want to be eventually.  But for now.......


 P.S.  I sing that to Delano when we're pulling his pants on everyday.  It has come to be expected.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment