Friday, February 21, 2014

Big Girl Panties

So Lucy has graduated into Big Girl Panties!

Though I don't actually own a single girly gDiaper.  Only primary colors!

Ok, so "big girl panties" is a stretch for most.  My daughter is definitely not potty trained.  I guess it all depends on your various definitions of "big girl panties".  For me, for my 7-week-old, that means that she has moved out of her newborn gDiapers and into the size small covers.  Which also means she has moved into cloth inserts.

Some people use full-on cloth diapers straight out of the gate.  Others use disposable diapers during the first couple of months and then transition into cloth diapers once their kid has put a little meat on their bones.  I did it halfway.  The newborn gDiapers are reusable cloth covers, but you use the gDiaper all-cotton disposable inserts with them (cloth inserts actually aren't recommended for the newborn size).  They worked great for when Delano was a newborn and worked 10x better with Lucy.  In 7 weeks she didn't have a SINGLE leak.  Not a one!  (I think we only had a couple of ,leaks with Delano.)  So they're pretty awesome, and therefore they might completely spoil you if you're lucky enough to experience the "no leak" factor with them.  At 7 weeks, Lucy has outgrown the newborn diaper covers and has moved up.  Which means experiencing leaks on a daily basis while I try to figure out the right diaper combo (and changing schedule) for her, which may be completely different from what it was with Delano.  In fact, I don't quite remember off the top of my head what it was like with Delano.  I think I may recall that I actually waited a few more weeks before using the small gDiapers (and used another diaper brand instead) because I couldn't seem to keep the leaks at bay, which meant he was still a little too small for them.

This is kind of what Lucy looks like in her Happy Heiny nighttime diaper right now (engulfed by diaper).  Though this baby's diaper (NOT a Happy Heiny.....maybe a Thirsties cover?) looks like it fits his/her leg holes (gussets) better.  So Lucy may wake up wet later.....

I'll have to look back through my old blog posts and see what Delano was "into" diaper-wise at this point in time, because I KNOW I wrote about it!!  In the meantime, Lucy and I will just keep experimenting with diapers until we get it right.  :)

Ok, so I just looked up my older blogs.  Here's where I talked about moving Delano from newborns to smalls.  At the time that I wrote the post, I was still trying to figure things out.  Delano was using the size small gDiapers (and had been since he was 5 1/2 weeks old), but there were leaks because his thighs were still real skinny.  In a later post, I went more in-depth about my cloth diaper stash and usage.  I was still using gDiapers (along with some other diaper types/brands) and I was still occasionally experiencing leaks.  But with cloth diapers, you just have to expect and be okay with leaks while you figure things out (or while your child grows through their own personal awkward stages).  Not like soak-your-shirt-and-change-your-clothes types of leaks, but mainly leaks on themselves.  And yes, your goal is to figure out what works and DOESN'T leak, but the leaks really aren't a big deal.  REALLY.  Lucas got pooped on once while out at a restaurant during Delano's early days.  Sounds like a big deal, but really not a big deal.  It happens.  The end.

I ALMOST bought a newborn ("up to 10 lbs") diaper cover this evening at a consignment sale, because it looked like it might fit my baby's thighs quite nicely (which is where 99% of leaks happen).  I talked myself out of it due to my already overflowing diaper stash.  But I may have really benefited from it.  I hate it when I do that.  Want something......then talk myself out of it.......and then wish I would have just gotten it.  MayI'll swing by there tomorrow and see if it's still there.  I dunno.  I just love a new diaper.  :)

This is the current new gDiaper design.  It's really hard for me not to order one for both Delano and Lucy!

This blog post has hit a stopping point.  I need to go to bed, as my youngest has been asleep for about an hour and 15 minutes now.  Which means she'll be up between 2:45 to 4:45 hours to eat again.  So I really should go to bed.

I normally would at LEAST end with a cute pic of my child (or children), but since my laptop crashed and I haven't uploaded any pics from my cell phone recently, I don't have any pics to share.  So I'll just leave you with a freeze frame of the video "if animals were fat".

If you haven't seen the video, Google it.

No comments:

Post a Comment