Tuesday, November 27, 2012

MacGyver Indiana Simington

Last night Lucas and I were watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on TV and it brought up a memory......when I was little, I had decided that the name of my first son would be MacGyver Indiana.  Delano really dodged a bullet on that one.  He only has to correct the pronunciation of his name (first AND last) and explain to people why his middle name is "Durante" his entire life instead.

Now that I think about it, he may have lucked out better with MacGyver Indiana.......

Hurry!!!  Hand me a nail file and a pack of sugar!!!  I need to diffuse this bomb!!!
They call me Indy, I am a sexy beast and I WILL CUT YOU.

So I decided at the last minute to run the Turkey Trot 8k on Thanksgiving Day with Delano in the jogger.  My shoulder was feeling better (though still very sore) and I just felt like I would regret it if I didn't do it, no matter what kind of a run it would end up to be.  It was only my second time EVER running with the jogger, and the only other time had been for a one-mile stretch along the river walk.  I also hadn't ran over a 5k since having had the baby.  Those points combined with my sore shoulder really put some strikes against me for the 8k, so I really didn't expect much of a performance.

Let's just say I surprised the crap out of myself!!  I wasn't fast by any means, but I only speed-walked briefly up the last portion of two or three hills (plus a few little mini-walks to replace a spat-out pacifier) and managed to finish in under an hour!  My friend Angie was at my side the entire time with her jogger as motivation, which was awesome.  Delano slept almost the whole time.  Of course when I got back to the car I realized the root of his brief fussiness may have been the fact that his diaper was loaded up and his hands and toes were icicles despite the fleece onesie and blankets I had tucked him into!  I didn't think it was cold enough for his winter blanket-parka thingy, but apparently it was.  Now I know!

Delano has one of these things for winter runs that I should have put him in.

Hooray!  Only 8 more miles and I'm back to half marathon status!

So now I've got......(looking at my computer calendar).....12 1/2 weeks left to train for my comeback half marathon.  Plenty of time.  I just need to start racking up the mileage.  Luckily for me I can do that in my mom's neighborhood pretty much any day of the week while she watches Delano.  Her neighborhood has steady hills, traffic is low, I can run varying combinations of streets to rack up the miles and I don't have to push the jogger (unless I just want to).  My neighborhood has hills, but it looks more like this:

That makes my stomach turn just looking at it.  What if that little boy really went for it??  Or slipped??  My heart would stop.

Plus I'd have no choice to run with the jogger unless Lucas was home or somebody came over.  I'd end up strong, that's for sure!  Strong and crying.

The only downside to running right now is that it's wintertime.  Running in 50 degrees is magical.  Running in 30 degrees - not so much.  I'm usually good after I get going, as long as the extremities warm up.  Which reminds me that I need some new running gloves that actually keep my fingers warm.  The ones I currently have do not.

Maybe work gloves are the way to go, like this guy chose.  And can you imagine what kind of a ride that baby is getting in that stroller?

It's also weight loss time.  Well, it's BEEN weight loss time since Delano popped out, but now I really need to get serious about it or I'm going to be back where I was two years ago before I started running.  My first goal is to lose 5 lbs.  Running will help, but I also really need to adjust my diet to be healthier.  I'm out of the habit of eating healthy PLUS it's a crummy time of year to try to eat healthy.  But it needs to happen. 

I am that monster.

Duh.

Weeks ago I left off talking about Delano's likely tongue tie and the fact that I was going to have to make an appointment up at Vanderbilt for a final answer.  Well, I never did that.  Why?  Because it all of the sudden got better!!  I have no idea what happened.  I don't know if he stretched it out or if his mouth just grew out of it or if it corrected itself or what....but ever since "whatever" happened, I have been having a completely NORMAL breastfeeding experience.  Hooray to that!!

That's a happy baby.
Love love love love love love LOVE THIS BABY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment