Thursday, September 27, 2012

So Here's My Number...I'm Tongue Tied Maybe

Delano had his 6-week doctor's appointment this morning.  There's not really any such thing as a 6-week appointment, but since I changed insurance companies and the old doctor doesn't accept my new insurance, I went ahead and made him an appointment with the new doc.  Plus, I wanted to get her take on my breastfeeding issue (aka THE PAIN).

10 pounds and 22 inches of a healthy 6 week old!

Yesterday on Facebook, I asked the mommies out there to tell me about their breastfeeding woes. I wanted to see if anybody's story sounded similar to mine.  I got stories of cracking and bleeding and clogged ducts and mastitis (I FEEL for all of those ladies!!), but nothing sounded quite like my dilemma. 

Until, that is, my friend Leza sent me a blog link yesterday about posterior tongue tie.

 I COULD HAVE WRITTEN THAT BLOG MYSELF.

This was me after reading the blog Leza sent me. Except I'm sure that guy isn't cheering for his nipples.
I guess he could be, though.  You just never know.

I was so excited to see this mommy confession that I read it about 8 times in a row and then started Googling.  I immediately made Delano an appointment with a pediatric dentist for an inspection of his mouth and a potential frenulum clipping (if a tongue tie is indeed what they find).  I called the Lactation Office at Women's East to set up an appointment for an opinion about the way Delano eats and posterior tongue tie.  And I couldn't wait until Delano's pediatrician appointment today to see what she had to say.  Here's how it all went down:

1)  The pediatrician had never even heard of posterior tongue tie and prescribed me a dose of Diflucan to treat a potential case of thrush (which is EXACTLY what the lady's doctor in the article did)

2)  One of the Lactation Consultants called me back, listened to my issues, and said that she knew exactly what posterior tongue tie was and how to treat it.  She is off tomorrow, but told me to call back in the morning to set up a time to come in and be observed (and have Delano checked out) by one of the other LCs.

3)  The dentist appointment isn't until Wednesday.

I'M SO EXCITED!!  Granted, I'm realistic enough to know that the LC and the dentist may not think that a posterior tongue tie is Delano's issue at all, but I'm still 100% hopeful that it is.  Because that means I'd have an answer and that it's fixable.

So thank you, Lindsay Karns (<---link) for posting your blog and for my friend Leza for finding it for me!!  My nipples may be thanking both of you here in the very near future.  You might just need a smoke and a sandwich afterwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment