Tuesday, September 25, 2012

5ks to Half Marathons (Part Deux)

Let's see........I ended the last blog talking (writing) about how I had stopped running in May, got lazy in the exercise efforts, expanded in my third trimester and then had a baby.  The end.  Now we're caught up to the present.

When Delano hit the One Month mark (which was Sunday the 16th), I knew it was time to get my butt back in gear.  So the very next morning, while Delano was still asleep, I hit the treadmill for my very first run since May.  This is what I expected:
  • Legs feel like weighted bags of sand
  • Can't breathe
  • Overheat
  • Quit after a couple of minutes....if I make it to a couple
  • DIE
This is what I got:
  • Legs cooperated
  • Breathing was smooth and stable
  • Sweaty but not dizzy or faint
  • Ran an entire mile.....and could have kept going
  • DIDN'T DIE
I'm not trying to brag, honest.  I was just literally so shocked and excited as to how well my first run back in "the game" went that I couldn't wait to tell people!  It made my day.  Granted, I was on my treadmill, which is a totally different experience than an outdoor run (much easier and WAY more boring), but I really did still think it would kill me and possibly make me want to cry.  But now I have high hopes for myself.

So I own a jogging stroller (thanks to my fabulous friend Shantih!), but I haven't taken it for a spin yet.  I need to soon, though.  I actually need to "practice" walking with Delano in it first, because he'll need to get used to being in a stroller without being in his car seat.  I know that might sound silly to some, but when your baby isn't quite old enough to entertain himself (when life solely consists of eating, crying, pooping and sleeping), it's likely that he'll associate being pulled out of his car seat and put into the jogger as being "put down" which will start the tears flowing (minus the tears part, since his haven't come in yet!).  Plus add in the fact that if he wakes up between the car seat and the jogger while feeling like he's being "put down", we might as well carry the baby with one hand and push the stroller with the other.  And then stop five minutes later to feed him.  Not a successful jogger trip.

So for the moment, I will be trying to get in as many treadmill runs as Baby D will allow (aka sleep through).  Maybe next week I'll try taking the jogger out on the town, but we'll just have to see.  As incentive, I have signed up with a team for the Color Run 5k in Nashville happening October 20th.  I'm super excited for this one, as it looks like TONS of fun!  Watch the video on the bottom of this page to see how much fun I'll be having:

http://thecolorrun.com/nashville/

I'm also planning on signing up for the Rock N' Roll New Orleans Half Marathon in February.  Lucas and I are going to make a vacation out of that one.

BRING IT ON!!

Because I can't have a blog without at least one picture..... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment