Saturday, January 4, 2014

5 Days Old

It's Saturday, and Little Miss Lucy is 5 days old!

She had her first bath today and HATED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT.

We got to leave the hospital Tuesday evening around 7:00 (after having her just after noon on Monday).  We would have gotten to leave sooner, but our pediatrician never got the memo that she had a patient at the hospital, so we had to wait for her to get there, which was around 6:00.  I was super excited about going home, relaxing on my own couch, using my own bathroom and sleeping in my own bed.  I was also excited about just being back HOME with the baby, Lucas, Delano and even all the pets. 

The first night home was exhausting, as we were up most of the night with a baby trying to adjust to her surroundings (aka NOT SLEEPING).  The second night was a lot better, and the past two nights have been like perfect newborn clockwork, with Lucy waking up every 2-3 hours to eat and fall back asleep.


As for the days, Lucy has spent them sleeping and eating.  The end.  She's been pretty easy to please.

Lucas and I, on the other hand, have been discovering how drastically different life is with TWO babies.  Two babies in two completely different phases of life, yet still both babies.  I've been lucky enough to have Lucas home all week this week, AND I get him home all week next week, too.  He's been working a little bit from home here and there and has had to pop into the office a couple of times for a few things, but he works from home during Delano's morning nap and takes Delano with him during his office runs.  Having the extra set of hands has been AWESOME.  It's going to be quite the transition once he goes back to work, though I'm hoping that two weeks of "practice" will give me a good head start.  :)

My babies.

Starting over with breastfeeding has sucked.  Don't get me wrong, I love breastfeeding and wouldn't have it any other way.  And I've been-there-done-that, so it's not a new experience.  But it doesn't make any of the initial "breastfeeding woes" suck any less.  I still have to deal with my nipples being ON FIRE and crying out in fear every time the baby wants to eat......I still have to deal with my toes curling due to the pain that happens every time the baby latches on......I still have to deal with the cracks and the scabs and the greasy nipple cream and the fact that my nipples don't want to touch ANYTHING at all but yet I still have to wear clothes......and I still have to deal with the engorgement and the leaking - nothing like trying to sleep with two rock hard milk jugs attached to your chest that have dripped a small lake under your body.

Cabbage leaves are said to be good to relieve engorged boobs.  I don't currently have any cabbage, but I do have these little round, cloth-covered ice packs bought specifically for this purpose.

Lucy's one-week appointment is scheduled for Monday afternoon.  However, with the weather predictions for this coming Sunday through Tuesday, we may have to reschedule it for later in the week.  But so far so good! 

Here are a few of the pics from the hospital:

There she is!
Daddy holding Lucy.
Mommy holding Lucy.
Delano checking her out.
Delano and Mommy.
Daddy and his kiddos.
Mommy and Lucy (after a much-needed shower and change of clothes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment