Monday, January 19, 2015

Meal Replacement Shake Monday!

Here we go!  Slim-Fast shakes are now officially a part of my day.

Rich Chocolate Royale, welcome to my morning.

Yes, I am fully aware that drinking a shake in place of a meal or snack is not a healthy lifestyle change.  As in, it's not something I can do forever (nor do I want to).  But it IS a temporary change that I'm making in order to jumpstart this weight-loss plan better.  So for the next few weeks, Slim-Fast and I are friends.

P.S.  Slim-Fast shake mix was hard to find!  Straight-up protein powders rule the roost nowadays.  Target doesn't sell Slim-Fast (at least in the store), so I went to Walmart and found it, though I still had to really look for it.  Amazon had it, but Walmart sells it cheaper than Amazon at $6.88 a can.  A can has 14 servings, so that's about 50 cents a shake.

Yesterday I skipped breakfast (totally by accident), had a bowl of soup for lunch, and then crashed my dinner with a cheeseburger, french fries, corn fritters and chocolate pie.  What I should have done was eat the hamburger off the bun, skipped the fries and corn fritters, and just had the chocolate pie.  But it is what it is.  And it was delicious.  Now onward to better choices!

I read a Facebook status post by a friend who said that 17 days ago, she cut sugar, flour, dairy and alcohol out of her diet in order to lose weight and gain healthier eating habits.  She's lost a bunch of weight so far, and I completely understand the approach to clean eating. 


My weight loss plan isn't quite that strict (though I'm sure it would be more effective if it was).  I do have lots of healthy snack options to choose from, though......blueberries, raspberries, apples, bananas, popcorn (made in my air popper), hummus with carrots or Triscuits (which are whole grain and made with only 2 or 3 ingredients), trail mix (for my sweet and salty tooth), Greek yogurt, avocado, edamame, and peanut butter (when I need a little fat and protein with my apple, or just on a spoon).  I also have things like soup, eggs, and black beans topped with pico de gallo (that can be eaten alone or on top of a sweet potato) if I'm really hungry and need something with a little more backbone.

I'm working towards being more disciplined about my eating choices.  Sure, I anticipate having a few not-so-healthy things while eating out now and again, and I anticipate enjoying some beer or wine on the regular (though not every day).  I definitely anticipate indulging and having setbacks, though I'm trying to do better at having them happen LESS often.  These 20 pounds need to GO BYE-BYE.

I discovered this past Friday night that I'm in desperate need for new running shoes.  I already kind of knew this, as I knew I had long surpassed the mileage limit on my shoes, but I didn't know that I had holes in my shoes until this past Friday when I looked down and could see my hot pink socks looking up at me.  So now it's definitely time for a new pair.  A friend of mine just recently bought some Hokas, and she LOVES them.  She says they have made ALL the difference in her running - her legs don't get fatigued like they used to.  The ultra marathoner who was on my Ragnar team also ran in Hokas.  So I plan on checking those out this week to see if I like them.

They kind of remind me of the Sketchers Step-Up shoes.

I also need a decent pair of tennis shoes for just everyday wear, since all of my other tennis shoes are too small (and my current shoes have holes in them).  I'll hit up the DSW clearance rack for those, or maybe head to TJMaxx or Rack Room.  My everyday shoes need to be comfortable, but they don't need the same price tag as my running shoes.

I ran three days last week - 2 miles, 3 miles and 1 mile.  My next half marathon is in less than 6 weeks, and so those numbers are definitely NOT going to make the next 13.1 miles any easier than last weekend's 13.1 attempt.  This week I HAVE to up my game.  I am way behind my personal running schedule.

Time to tackle the day and be productive!

No comments:

Post a Comment