Thursday, April 3, 2014

This Took A Week To Write. Seriously.

Thursday night, March 27th:

It's 11:25 pm.  I'm supposed to be working.  But instead I'm doing this:

Who knew there was a seasonal Guinness?  It's good, too.  Only very slightly different from the original.

Actually, I did work some.  Just not as much as I had planned.  And I'm one of those who can TOTALLY watch Grey's Anatomy while drinking Guinness and actually get work done at the same time.  And I probably will also have Facebook lingering on a tab in the background.  I've been multitasking in this fashion this since I started working from home 6 years ago.  So that's not the issue.  I would just rather blog instead, because I don't blog nearly as often as I used to.  Where the hell did the time go?

Ok fine.  I'll get back to work.  And I'll try not to drink all 4 beers while remembering that I want/need to hop on the treadmill when I get up at 7:00 in the morning.  I need to run 7 miles.  SEVEN.

I'll finish this tomorrow (maybe).

Friday morning, March 28th:

So I did continue to work last night until about 12:45, then I went to bed.  And I only drank 2 beers.  :)  AND I was up and out of bed at 7:10 this morning to get dressed and ready for my date with the treadmill!  I managed to get 5 miles (and an episode of The Millionaire Matchmaker) in before the toddler woke up around 8:30.  They weren't completely consistent running miles........I would run a mile, walk for two minutes, run a mile, walk for two minutes.......but I got 5 miles in and am pretty sure I could have gotten the last 2 miles in doing it that way had the kiddo slept longer.  But ah well.  I fixed Delano's bottle of almond milk, parked him on his mini-recliner in front of George, fed all the animals and managed a quick 3-minute shower to wash off all the sweat before the baby woke up at 9:00.  So all in all, a successful morning!

Though we did have a full-blown toddler meltdown after the baby woke up for no apparent reason.  Because TODDLER HAPPENS.

Sunday night, March 30th:

Yep, it's Sunday night.  Well, technically it's Monday morning, seeing it's 12:13 am.  And yes, I DID start this blog post on Thursday.  And I'm not about to finish it right now, either.  See what I mean about time disappearing?  It has a LOT to do with having two kiddos around instead of just the one, but right now it also has a lot to do with the fact that I have three work projects to do.  Which means that any time parked in front of the laptop while the kiddos are asleep/occupied is typically spent working on a portion of a report.

For those of you who don't know (or have just forgotten), I work as an independent contractor for an engineering firm doing Phase I environmental site assessments.  I'm technically considered self employed, though I don't own a business besides pimping myself out for work.  I used to work full time as an environmental scientist for a local engineering firm doing all sorts of projects - had my own office and everything - until I was laid off in January 2008 after the economy tanked.  Long story short, I got a phone call that summer from a former work boss/friend with the first engineering company I worked for right out of college who made me an offer I couldn't refuse: to work from home.  I worked from home for my old company until right before Delano was born, which is when I started strictly doing work as an independent contractor for another company (which I was referred to by the company that had to lay me off).  Basically, they email me with a project, tell me what it is, where it is, when it's due and how much they'll pay me, and ask me if I want it.  I can either accept it or turn it down (fyi, I've only ever turned down ONE project that I couldn't do because of a vacation conflict).  I do the work, turn it in, send them an invoice and then they mail me a check.  Plus I get to keep my gig as a SAHM - my mom watches the kiddos on the day that I travel for a project, and the rest of the work I do while the kiddos nap or are in bed for the night.  It's the best job I've ever had. 

Gotta head to bed.....it's 12:35 now, I've got a massive load of cloth diapers I need to toss in the dryer and I'm planning on hitting up the treadmill again first thing in the morning. 

Thursday afternoon, April 3rd:

Screw it.  I've got a billion things I'd love to talk about but I'm just too busy to keep up right now!  So I'm gonna go ahead and post this patchy, boring blog.  Maybe next week (after these three reports go out), I'll have time to catch up!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment